Confessions by appointment suck.
(10-07-2010, 10:23 AM)PeterII Wrote:
(10-07-2010, 10:09 AM)cgraye Wrote: Obviously there is a circular problem here.  You have less people going to Confession, so you cut back the times for Confessions, so people get the message that Confession isn't that essential, so less people go to Confession...

The large Novus Ordo parish where I live has at least four priests in residence but only offers confession once a week on Saturday for 30 min.  How do they expect people to save their souls without frequent confession these days?

You would be assuming they still believe in hell, which isn't a sure assumption these days.
And an "appointment" sort of reduces the anonymity, don't you think?

In reality, if you're a regularly-attending parishioner and you're confessing at your parish, it's likely the priest knows your voice, anyway.....but....even in that case, a darkened confessional with a screen does - speaking for me, anyway - make it much easier to 'fess up.

Quite different from saying "Hey, Padre, it's me, Luigi - I'll see you at four o'clock!"
The last time I attended a Novus Ordo " reconciliation" was about a year ago and the Priest would only do it face to face. And I was always the only one there.
confessions by appointment always bothered me.  I understand that priests have other ministries to tend to and need a day of rest, but i find the one duty that should be available 24/7 is confession.  It can literally saves a man's soul, and if it means sitting in the confessional booth for  hours a day to hear that one's man confession is worth it.  What is more trouble to me is how few priests have confession before Mass (speaking at the NO Churches, as all of the Fraternity and Institute Masses I have been to have confessions prior and even during Mass),  I understand there is a lot of parish sharing nowadays, but couldn't it be schedule be adjusted to allow it.  At least during Lent, some Dioceses are making it greatly available lately.  In New York, I have heard a few parishes with 24 hour a day confessionals going during Lent.
(10-07-2010, 10:53 PM)Baskerville Wrote: The last time I attended a Novus Ordo " reconciliation" was about a year ago and the Priest would only do it face to face. And I was always the only one there.

Our primary school first confession was sitting in a decorated room on comfy chairs having a conversation with a priest. It was so lame. I don't mind face to face confessions like the trads to on pilgrimages but I'd at least like to kneel while I'm confessing sins. Sitting in an office chair doesn't really inspire a penitential spirit.
(10-07-2010, 11:39 PM)AntoniusMaximus Wrote: confessions by appointment always bothered me.  I understand that priests have other ministries to tend to and need a day of rest, but i find the one duty that should be available 24/7 is confession.  It can literally saves a man's soul, and if it means sitting in the confessional booth for  hours a day to hear that one's man confession is worth it.  What is more trouble to me is how few priests have confession before Mass (speaking at the NO Churches, as all of the Fraternity and Institute Masses I have been to have confessions prior and even during Mass),  I understand there is a lot of parish sharing nowadays, but couldn't it be schedule be adjusted to allow it.  At least during Lent, some Dioceses are making it greatly available lately.  In New York, I have heard a few parishes with 24 hour a day confessionals going during Lent.

In my opinion it may boil down to three things:  time management, leadership and the importance (or unimportance) placed upon the sacrament by your average parish priest.   Many priests  (in the NO) are overwhelmed with the demands placed upon them by various parish groups, councils, etc. which overstep their boundaries and use the priest as their own personal puppet.  This is one example of a parish priest abdicating his authority to run his parish.  Some voluntarily abdicate this authority or are manipulated and forced into relinquishing it by parish laity overstepping their own bounds.  Some priests just don't care.  Very sad indeed.

Time management is not rocket science (we all do it in our work life and everyday life) - scheduling confessions before masses is done in most if not all TLM parishes.  Why can't a NO priest do the same?  In my opinion they can offer confession on a regular basis - they just either don't want or they don't care to.  It's an afterthought and/or just not important.

Then lastly, is the belief in and the importance (or unimportance) placed on the Sacrament of Penance.  Many NO priests and laity have a completely alien view of the sacrament versus traditional priests and laity.  Confession and penance is either an after thought or something to be provided for on an individual basis for those who have major sins to confess.  Thus the phenomenon of confession by appointment only.  To these priests, there is no such thing as venial sin or having someone build a spiritual life based on penance and reconciliation.  This, I think, is the major belief held by most NO clergy today.  Confession to them is either a novel concept or something to provide to individuals on a case by case basis and only for major sins. 
Well, our Cathedral has confessions 3 hours a day, Monday thru Saturday. And any time by appointment. I think that's pretty good. If your parish priest is neglecting his duty, go to the Cathedral. No excuses.

As for the other stuff.. Remember that the mode for confessing has changed over the centuries. Did you know that in the early Church you could only confess to a bishop and only ONCE in your LIFETIME? No wonder people put off baptism until the end of their lives. Just be glad you live today and make that appointment.