German Catholic group calls for ‘Santa Claus-free zones’
German Catholic group calls for ‘Santa Claus-free zones’

Reuters  October 7, 2010 – 9:29 am

BERLIN — A group of German Catholics wants to do away with Santa Claus because of the fictional figure’s commercial hype and replace him with St. Nicolas and the selfless giving they say he represents.

Even before shops fill with Santa-themed goodies, the Bonifatiuswerk of German Catholics — a Catholic aid organisation — has begun calling for “Santa Claus-free zones.”

The organisation sees Santa as “an invention of the advertising industry designed to boost sales” and as “a representative of consumer society” who has little to do with the historical figure of St Nicolas.

Its website describes Nicolas, the patron saint of children, as “a helper in need who reminds us to be kind, to think of our neighbours, and to give the gift of happiness.”

The campaign is supported by several German celebrities.

“Unlike Santa Claus, Nicolas wants to give children inner riches and not just encourage them to strive for material wealth,” German TV presenter Nina Ruege was quoted saying.

Thomson Reuters 2010

Read more: http://life.nationalpost.com/2010/10/07/...z11j0JsAf2

My six year old asked me if Santa Claus exists and I told him yeah - he's really Saint Nicholas, and showed him a bit about him in a Children's Book of Saints.

I've always felt against Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, etc.  Lying is lying, and I just don't feel right about it.  I was quite scandalized when I learned my parents had lied to me about all those things.
I'm not going to teach my children about Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny in the popular sense.  When they grow old enough to be able to accept that they really do not exist, how can they believe something like how the bread and wine become the True Presence at Mass?
I found out that Santa and such didn't exist, and it was kind of sad, but it was nice to know my parents went through all the work to make me happy and stuff. 
They're too late. the decorations have been up in the stores for a couple weeks already.

I sort of like the Dutch approach. They do the big commercial gift holiday on St Nicholas Day and Christmas itself is the Holy Day. Church then a big meal. Just the way a Feast Day should be celebrated.
(10-07-2010, 09:57 PM)dark lancer Wrote: I'm not going to teach my children about Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny in the popular sense.  When they grow old enough to be able to accept that they really do not exist, how can they believe something like how the bread and wine become the True Presence at Mass?

This is how I feel about it, I reckon.  I really felt lied to as a child (and I discovered Santa Claus wasn't real right after my parents got divorced, so it was not as if I had any great reason to feel good about anything family-related at that point) and felt like my parents were disingenuous.  This is an issue I'll have to put my foot down on as a father - I just can't see this being acceptable.
Santa Claus can also be St. Nicholas. His Spirit. That's how we deal with it. On St. Nicholas Feast Day, they get money (from St. Nicholas) to spend on Christmas gifts... most thrift store purchases... or affordable flea market finds... Makes it an adventure.

It's a tough one. I, too, was crushed when I figured it all out. But I stillg et the same feelings I did as a kid. Spiritually, and that "kid" feeling; as Steve Lawrence sang, "That Ole' Christmas Spirit", with the gifts... and stuff. My kids still love all the old Christmas shows. The vintage stuff.

I do, too!  ;)  It's a better fantasy for sure, than Harry Potter.

I like the idea of talking about the "spirit of Saint Nicholas."  Obviously I wouldn't want to deprive my children of fun, games, candy, and presents - I just don't want to lie to them.

And agreed on it being a better fantasy than Harry Potter...speaking of better fantasies...maybe I could dress up as Gandalf for my kids instead of Santa Claus...lol.  :laughing:
(10-08-2010, 11:24 AM)3Sanctus Wrote: I like the idea of talking about the "spirit of Saint Nicholas."  Obviously I wouldn't want to deprive my children of fun, games, candy, and presents - I just don't want to lie to them.

And agreed on it being a better fantasy than Harry Potter...speaking of better fantasies...maybe I could dress up as Gandalf for my kids instead of Santa Claus...lol.   :laughing:

Gandalf! That'd be amazing! A new tradition beginneth!
Santa Claus can come to my zone any day. I love him, real or imagined.