Crying so much...Feeling so helpless...
Yes, you've got to turn your eyes away from the world.  Actors and actresses are merely our modern-day jesters.  Why people idolize the clowns is beyond me.  It's all an illusion!

Besides, Jolie and Pitt are having the worst marriage in the world.  Surely you don't idolize these people's lives?

Like the others have said, study the saints, and don't be afraid to keep your TV off and limit the internet usage.  You will find that the introspection and study, after probably five days, will make you feel refreshed in the end.
(10-08-2010, 11:44 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: Yes, you've got to turn your eyes away from the world.  Actors and actresses are merely our modern-day jesters.  Why people idolize the clowns is beyond me.  It's all an illusion!

Besides, Jolie and Pitt are having the worst marriage in the world.  Surely you don't idolize these people's lives?

Like the others have said, study the saints, and don't be afraid to keep your TV off and limit the internet usage.  You will find that the introspection and study, after probably five days, will make you feel refreshed in the end.

Hey! :| Brad and Ange are not fighting....thats just what the tabloids say! Though they are definitely not the best role models in the world...! I do have favorite saints lol and its a bit hard limiting the internet connection when so much of my homework I have to type up so many papers and research things so much. Though naw not all actors/actresses are bad role models. Mariska...I'm sorry I can relate to her, Ice-T, Belzer and Chris Meloni lol! Of course I really also relate to Mother Theresa and I tried and have watched ETWN, but bah...just no my em-o.
(10-09-2010, 05:26 AM)Pomprincess Wrote:
(10-08-2010, 11:44 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: Yes, you've got to turn your eyes away from the world.  Actors and actresses are merely our modern-day jesters.  Why people idolize the clowns is beyond me.  It's all an illusion!

Hey! :| Brad and Ange are not fighting....thats just what the tabloids say! Though they are definitely not the best role models in the world...! I do have favorite saints lol and its a bit hard limiting the internet connection when so much of my homework I have to type up so many papers and research things so much. Though naw not all actors/actresses are bad role models. Mariska...I'm sorry I can relate to her, Ice-T, Belzer and Chris Meloni lol! Of course I really also relate to Mother Theresa and I tried and have watched ETWN, but bah...just no my em-o.

Who gives a shit?

Pom, you have an odd obsession with celebrities.  They are overpaid actors.  As someone above said, they are our modern day jesters.  Why people find their vapid lives so entertaining, I do not know. 

Stop focusing on these sinful idiots.  Focus on the saints and the Catholic Church.  That is what matters in life.  At your judgment, it won't matter what "Brad and Ange" did, or Mariska, or the new tart of the week.  It'll matter how you lived your life, and if you lived it according to His commandments.

Go outside, hang out with friends, and do something.  Stop focusing on celebrities and start focusing on your life! 

:)
(10-09-2010, 05:33 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Who gives a shit?

Pom, you have an odd obsession with celebrities.  They are overpaid actors.  As someone above said, they are our modern day jesters.  Why people find their vapid lives so entertaining, I do not know. 

Stop focusing on these sinful idiots.  Focus on the saints and the Catholic Church.  That is what matters in life.  At your judgment, it won't matter what "Brad and Ange" did, or Mariska, or the new tart of the week.  It'll matter how you lived your life, and if you lived it according to His commandments.

Go outside, hang out with friends, and do something.  Stop focusing on celebrities and start focusing on your life! 

Fine easier said than done when I have one friend back home but who stays inside a lot because she's depressed. Then its so hard to find people at a junior college to stay friends with, I hardly have the same classes as anyone at the junior college. I pretty much am focusing on getting good grades, trying to exercise more, I'm going to adopt a lifestyle change and instead of eating so much meat or carbs, Im going to eat more salads, fruits and drink more water. I still have a plan to write a script and become a screenwriter and maybe an actress myself...I have inspiration now finally from Mariska, Ice-T & Richard Belzer(twiter friends) and the other SVU fans...I actually made another friend over the internet but she lives in Washington DC. I have learned to also accept the fact that I'm definitely not a traditional Catholic and much more of just one who considers themselves a Christian-Catholic. I read the bible and I try to go when I can to church, though its difficult to mae it to chruch every Sunday unfortunately...
(10-09-2010, 05:46 AM)Pomprincess Wrote:
(10-09-2010, 05:33 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Who gives a shit?

Fine easier said than done when I have one friend back home but who stays inside a lot because she's depressed. Then its so hard to find people at a junior college to stay friends with, I hardly have the same classes as anyone at the junior college. I pretty much am focusing on getting good grades, trying to exercise more, I'm going to adopt a lifestyle change and instead of eating so much meat or carbs, Im going to eat more salads, fruits and drink more water. I still have a plan to write a script and become a screenwriter and maybe an actress myself...I have inspiration now finally from Mariska, Ice-T & Richard Belzer(twiter friends) and the other SVU fans...I actually made another friend over the internet but she lives in Washington DC. I have learned to also accept the fact that I'm definitely not a traditional Catholic and much more of just one who considers themselves a Christian-Catholic. I read the bible and I try to go when I can to church, though its difficult to mae it to chruch every Sunday unfortunately...

I don't mean to sound mean. 

If your friend is depressed, she's probably in a self-feeding cycle of being inside, being alone, and being depressed.   Worst case, just go hang out? 

Good that you have a life plan.  :)

As to Catholicism:  Learn more, read more, and think more about it. 

And, try to attend the Traditional Latin Mass as often as possible. 

I'll pray for you.  (That's not condescending, btw).
That's why I recommended a Church secretary.  Find yourself a nice older lady who belongs to the Church, someone who can mentor you and is not all busy and caught up in school and the internet etc.  You may even find someone who shares your interest in celebrities, as long as it's someone who stands by the Church and her teachings, she'll be a good influence on you.  The best way to make a friend is just invite her to lunch with you.  Tell her that you've been looking for a friend like her who would be a good influence on you.  Let it grow from there.  Only use your computer for school and after that just walk away.
(10-08-2010, 07:46 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: This is the best advice.

It sounds to me like you're longing for human interaction.  It's not so unusual to be attracted to females, especially since women are so often depicted as sex objects in today's media.  Instead of trying so hard to decide if you're bi or not.. just be you.  I find both women and men sexually appealing, but I choose not to define myself as bisexual.  Why?  Because I don't want to my identity to be about what I'm zoning out and lusting after when I'm not engaged in God's good works.  I am a Catholic, and that's all I need to know.  I think I can relate to you quite a bit, and all I can tell you is just don't worry about those thoughts about women.  There's nothing inherently wrong with feeling aroused by women, just don't entertain those thoughts, just like you shouldn't be entertaining those thoughts about men either unless you get married to one of them.  These thoughts are just temptations popping into your head, distracting you from what's really important on this earth.  Foster your love for God, and take care of yourself. 

I think you're spending too much of your time watching youtube or television and your psyche is longing for real human connection, so that longing is twisting into a kind of despair/lust towards what you're viewing on screen.  Go and spend time with other faithful Catholics who are outside of your family and talk to them in person about your troubles.  It will do wonders for you.  If you can't find any, go and hang out with the church secretary for awhile, ask her to go to lunch with you.  Reach out to people one at a time instead of trying to reach out to the whole world.  Most of all, just get away from the screens.
Great advice, Fluffy!

Another thing to think about, Pomprincess...do you want relief from this problem (which will take sacrifice on your part) or is this angst kinda of a cool for you (I'm suffering terribly for the problems in the world type of thing)? I've read the reasons why you can't make things better for yourself, but I don't see them as anything but excuses really. It sounds just like me when I'm depressed, actually. Just to put attending Sunday Mass in perspective--I'm the mother of four, we take care of my MIL who is almost 90 who goes to Mass, too, I homeschool during the week, so that's a full-time job for me, and my husband has a full-time job on top our second job(s) of real estate management. We make it to Mass. That's it. God told us to do it, so we do (that's not the only reason we do, but I digress...). That's the way I look at it--When the Creator of the Universe makes a small request (and it is tiny, let's be honest) I think we should listen, not make excuses. BTW--to reiterate, that's not the only reason we go to Mass, but if I really didn't want to, I'd definitely have that to think about as a bare minimum.
Are there clubs on campus that you can join? I didn't have many friends at community college either until I joined some clubs in my second year. I'm still in touch with those friends more than 3 years later.
Loneliness is a very difficult thing to face.  When I graduated from college, I entered the Air Force and found myself in Dayton, OH with no friends, no family, and no solid parishes that I could find.  In college I was extremely active in various Catholic groups and had what I thought was a good prayer life.  I had a good support structure and a lot of grace from God that deceived me into thinking that my faith was stronger than it really was.  When I was in Ohio, I struggled a lot with loneliness and sin.  I watched a lot of TV and played a lot of video games because doing so gave me something resembling human interaction.  In that state of loneliness and separation from other solid Catholics, it became a lot easier to become attached to celebrities or fictional characters and try to identify with them in their struggles.

I eventually got out of this very dark place in my life.  Here is what I would recommend for you to do the same:

1. First and foremost, go to Mass on Sundays (or Saturday evenings).  No matter what, do what it takes to get to Mass every week.  If possible, go every day.  Trust me; God will give you back sevenfold any time you sacrifice to spend with Him.
2. If you aren't going to confession regularly, start!  If you're missing Mass and struggling with sexual attractions without going to confession, you're putting yourself in a state of separation from God that gives the Devil free rein to play with your mind and drive you into despair.  I would recommend confession at least once a week if you regularly struggle with mortal sin, and at least once per month otherwise.
3. Take some time to pray every day. It doesn't have to be a large amount to start with, maybe 15 minutes (10 in the morning when you wake up and 5 before you go to bed).  Spend some of your prayer time doing something structured like the rosary or Liturgy of the Hours and some just thanking God for all He has done for you and asking for His help.  If you do this every day it will make an ENORMOUS difference in your day-to-day attitude toward God and the world.
4. Find someone, anyone, who you know to be a serious, practicing Catholic (trad or not, as long as their beliefs are orthodox) and try to get together with them at least two or three times per month.  It doesn't have to be anything special, just dinner and drinks or bowling, but having this fellowship will make a big difference in your outlook.
5. Get involved in groups that involve social interaction, even if they aren't Catholic.  Join a knitting group or a book club, or even a group that gets together to talk about Law and Order SVU.  Having real fellowship with real people will make it more difficult to get too attached to celebrities or fictional characters.

I will keep you in my prayers.  :pray:
It seems to me that you have an unhealthy obsession with Benson there, dear. Some folk just can't deal with loneliness too well, perhaps you are one of them. It doesn't mean anything bad. It simply means that you need to get outside or find another hobby to add to your list. I can't say I fully understand where you are coming from because I prefer solitude and what other people call loneliness I call peace. But I wish you well and you can be assured of my prayers.  :pray: