Any CAF Refugees Here?
I read and post (rarely) when Fisheaters is down. In the interest of charity, I will say no more.
A question: Why should anyone waste their time there, given what goes on at that site? Don't bother giving yourselves agida (that's Italian for heartburn, for those who don't know.)  ;)
(10-08-2010, 01:58 PM)Vivace Wrote: I was on CAF for a while (my post count was somewhere over 1,200) but I recently gave up. Are you called "Ockham" over there, as well? I remember you; I enjoyed your posts.

Yes I do and thank you. 

My intentions at CAF are/were pure: discussion of traditional Catholic subjects.  However, despite forum rules to support that outline most of the threads turn into debates with non-traditional Catholics.  A traditional Catholic is most likely not appreciative of the Novus Ordo and other 'spirit of V2' creations yet it's practically impossible to state that without stirring moderator wrath.

I am very appreciative of this website with so much knowledge and information about the Church.  As a post V2 cradle Catholic what I had known was very shallow compared to the fullness and richness of the Catholic culture.  For the Church to regain her prominence and for the salvation of souls this culture needs to be known and practiced.
(10-08-2010, 06:56 PM)Dmorgan Wrote: I still go on the site to browse, but I rarely ever post. The "Hired Guns" that crawl out whenever any Traditional topic is posted drive me nuts. The assaults are quick and continuous. There are some foloks over there that are terrified of a return to anything approaching Traditional Catholisism. I have also had several posts disapear when the mods were not happy that I was winning my argument.

I think some of those "Hired Guns" are proactively pretending to be trads and coming onto traditional sites in order to bring in a little modernism in order to bridge the gap between traditional Catholicism and Vatican II.  I've seen a number of threads where people are actively using a good amount of popular post-conciliar language in their postings.  And by that, I don't mean that they are doing it out of bad habit, I get  the sense that they are using it in order acclimate trads to it as a part of the normal trad lexicon. 
I got banned from there for pointing out that modern ordinations are no different than the Anglican ones and Pope Leo XIII considered the Anglican ones to be invalid. I got told to leave because I was not in harmoney with the Church what a bunch of poofters. :laughing:
Karl Keating is about means and extremes... Truth? Don't be extrene, ok, or I'll ban you from here!
(10-09-2010, 10:01 PM)Baskerville Wrote: I got banned from there for pointing out that modern ordinations are no different than the Anglican ones and Pope Leo XIII considered the Anglican ones to be invalid. I got told to leave because I was not in harmoney with the Church what a bunch of poofters. :laughing:

You do know that if that were true then Benedict XVI is not really the pope? (Can't be Bishop of Rome if you're not a valid bishop)
(10-08-2010, 01:28 PM)Ockham Wrote: Does anyone have experience with Catholic Answers Forum?  I've tried to play by their rules in the 'Traditional Catholic' forum but it seems like a losing battle.  Should I give up or can anyone offer advice as to how to survive there.

I like CAF and post there regularly but it serves a different purpose than FE.  On FE, the vast majority of posters are traditional Catholics and it is therefore a good place for discussions with people who share a lot of my values and beliefs.  On CAF, even the traditional Catholic forum, a significant and vocal proportion of posters are not traditional.  This makes it a good place for outreach and apologetics.  It is an opportunity to develop my skills in presenting traditional Catholicism to those who do not share it.  If you participate in CAF expecting it to be another Fish Eaters, you will likely spend a lot of time feeling disappointed and frustrated.  But if you take it on its own terms it is possible to have a positive experience there.
(10-10-2010, 06:42 AM)JayneK Wrote: I like CAF and post there regularly but it serves a different purpose than FE.  On FE, the vast majority of posters are traditional Catholics and it is therefore a good place for discussions with people who share a lot of my values and beliefs.  On CAF, even the traditional Catholic forum, a significant and vocal proportion of posters are not traditional.  This makes it a good place for outreach and apologetics.  It is an opportunity to develop my skills in presenting traditional Catholicism to those who do not share it.  If you participate in CAF expecting it to be another Fish Eaters, you will likely spend a lot of time feeling disappointed and frustrated.  But if you take it on its own terms it is possible to have a positive experience there.

I wpould add, it is a good place to apply the principle of the natural law: Audiatur et altera pars (Let the other side to be heard)
(10-10-2010, 08:22 AM)glgas Wrote: I wpould add, it is a good place to apply the principle of the natural law: Audiatur et altera pars (Let the other side to be heard)

I've avoided ever posting there - already heard the other side too many times and worry about the proverb:
Corruptio optimi pessimum est (the corruption of the best is the worst)