Just saw Super Size Me.
Yes, I just saw the documentary Super Size Me. 

I felt that parts are embellished and skewed due to the fact that it's about the spouse of a vegan who decides to go on a McDonald's binge for a month to see what happens to himself. 

When he first starts his diet, I think he's overreacting.  I mean, come on!  He vomits after his first supersized McDonalds meal?  Give me a break!  Either he was overreacting to it, or he was a complete panzie.  Like a vegetarian that feels sick after eating a steak. 

Anyway.  I could that the effects of his diet after day 10 were real.  Hilarious and sober.  The guy went from weighing around 180 pounds to something like 210 in only thirty days.  His belly started looking like mine in the end.  (I wonder how I get rid of this thing.  I don't go to fast food joints.)

As an addition to the documentary, I'd like to point  you all to this interesting gem of information, an article discussing the inability of McDonalds food to deteriorate or get eaten by vermin!

(go to the site, you get pictures!)

http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=5005

McDonald’s Food Doesn’t Decay?

Our intrigue regarding the eternal shelf life of a McDonald’s hamburger began after reading of New York photographer Sally Davies’ exploits involving a Happy Meal Project: Davies purchased a Happy Meal, and perched the McDonald’s hamburger and french fries on a table. As an experiment, she photographed the meal every few days to measure the rate of spoilage. Her photographs revealed that after 145 days, the burger and fries appeared as fresh as the day they were purchased from McDonald’s nearly 5 months ago.

Our interest was really peaked when we discovered that several other concerned consumers had conducted similar McDonald’s burger experiments. In these experiments, none of the McDonald’s hamburgers decomposed after extended periods of time raging from 1 year to over a decade. Nutrition consultant Karen Hanrahan kept a McDonald’s hamburger for, get this, 12 years. She purchased the McDonald’s hamburger in 1996 and posted her claim on her website in 2008.

Author and obesity activist Julia Havey stored a McDonald’s cheeseburger and fries for 4 years, and Joann Bruso, a 62-year-old grandmother, held on to a McDonald’s Happy Meal for a whole year. All of these events were either videotaped or photographed. To illustrate what real food looks like when it spoils, Julia Havey’s video visually compares pristine looking four-year old McDonald’s french fries with a regular decomposed potato.

Then there’s Leo Foley’s Bionic Burger video. Foley has allegedly been saving McDonald’s hamburgers, cheeseburgers, and Big Macs from McDonald’s for over 19 years, and “they look EXACTLY the same!” says Foley. “These hamburgers are not food substances (the way we normally think of food), says Foley, “they are chemical concoctions that contain the look, taste, and smell of food but don’t be fooled. There is nothing ‘food-like’ about these substances at all.”

For nonbelievers, Foley has this so say: “I don’t want you to believe me. I would rather have you buy a couple hamburgers from your local McDonald’s and follow our instructions on how to create a Bionic Burger for yourself.”

Ingredients

McDonald’s Beef Patty/French Fries
No, you won’t find embalming fluid listed among the ingredients in a McDonald’s beef patty, although I wouldn’t be surprised. McDonald’s issued a statement claiming: “No preservatives are added to the beef patties in McDonald’s hamburgers.”

But according to Foley, what you will find is 1,1,1 – trichloroethane, 1,2,4 – trimethylbenzene, BCH, alpha Chloroform, chlorotoluene, chlorpyritos, DDE, p, p, DDT, p, p, dieldrin, diphenyl 2-wthylhexyl phosphate, and ethyl benzene, among a host of other chemicals found in fast food.

Some suggest that since fat makes up about 50 percent of the fries’ caloric content and 35-to-54 percent of the burger patties’, “high levels of fat leave less room for moisture, which prevents mold from sprouting.”

McDonald’s Bun
Enriched bleached flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, reduced iron), water, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, yeast, contains less than 2 % of each of the following: salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, calcium silicate, wheat gluten, soy flour, baking soda, emulsifier (mono- and diglycerides, diacetyl tartaric acid esters of fatty acids, ethanol, sorbitol, polysorbate 20, potassium propionate), sodium stearoyl lactylate, dough conditioner (corn starch, ammonium chloride, ammonium sulfate, calcium peroxide, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, enzymes), calcium propionate (preservative).

McFrankenstein Creation

For those of you who consider these eternal McDonald’s hamburger claims over the top, consider this: McDonald’s chicken McNuggets contain tertiary butylhydroquinone (TBHQ), a petroleum-based product also added to varnishes, lacquers, resins, and oil field additives, and dimethylpolysiloxane, an anti-foaming agent used in Silly Putty.

And prior to 2003, there were even more toxic chemicals in McDonald’s chicken McNuggets that so shocked a federal judge, the chemicals were ordered to be removed. In 2003, a federal judge dubbed the food “a McFrankenstein creation of various elements not utilized by the home cook.” The ingredients allowed to remain are tBHQ and dimethylpolysiloxane.

How to create your own Immortal Burger:

1. Buy some hamburgers from your favorite fast food restaurant: McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Burger King (any place that serves hybridized, chemicalized, genetically altered, hormone/ pesticide-laden food) – BUT DON’T EAT THEM!

2. Put your hamburgers in a fairly dry location and let them sit for many, many years.

WARNING: Do not put your hamburgers in any sealed containers, like jars. The moisture needs to escape the food naturally, so letting them breathe in the open air works best.

3. And that’s it! You are now the proud owner of your own Burger Museum! After 6 or 7 days, you can display them proudly. No animals or insects will touch them – which makes me wonder why we would ever touch them!

(10-09-2010, 12:09 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: When he first starts his diet, I think he's overreacting.  I mean, come on!  He vomits after his first supersized McDonalds meal?  Give me a break!  Either he was overreacting to it, or he was a complete panzie.  Like a vegetarian that feels sick after eating a steak. 
No, that is probably a real reaction.

It isn't about the meat, but the difference. I haven't eaten fast food for a long time, and when I had a thingy of fries fro mMcDonalds or something, they did make me feel very sick (I have no idea what those things were...but they were not sliced potatoes cooked). For a vegan, especially one who normally eats whole food, such food has a very strange effect. I only had a small fries.

Quote:Anyway.  I could that the effects of his diet after day 10 were real.  Hilarious and sober.  The guy went from weighing around 180 pounds to something like 210 in only thirty days.  His belly started looking like mine in the end.  (I wonder how I get rid of this thing.  I don't go to fast food joints.)
The cause of fat in the abdominal region is varied. It is often hormonal more than just dietary. I would try, in this order:

* Fasting (in the beginning)
* Eating only raw fresh food (for a while)
* Eating primarily raw fresh food with other whole foods (steak, real cuts of meat and fish, etc. No food you couldn't make with compression or cutting things you could find in nature!)
* Anaerobic exercise. This will help build muscle mass and create a favourable hormonal environment

A human belly (on a normal skeletal frame) should be flat (it is a wall of muscle covered in fascia and skin). If the fat is right under the skin, then it can be lost with caloric reduction with maintenance of the muscle mass (just reducing carlories would cause muscle and other tissue to be lost with near equal footing with fat).

Quote:As an addition to the documentary, I'd like to point  you all to this interesting gem of information, an article discussing the inability of McDonalds food to deteriorate or get eaten by vermin!
I didn't view the source there, but I would think any McDonalds food (besides diet soda) would be consumed by other organisms if it were available.
(10-10-2010, 01:06 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(10-09-2010, 12:09 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: When he first starts his diet, I think he's overreacting.  I mean, come on!  He vomits after his first supersized McDonalds meal?  Give me a break!  Either he was overreacting to it, or he was a complete panzie.  Like a vegetarian that feels sick after eating a steak. 
No, that is probably a real reaction.

It isn't about the meat, but the difference. I haven't eaten fast food for a long time, and when I had a thingy of fries fro mMcDonalds or something, they did make me feel very sick (I have no idea what those things were...but they were not sliced potatoes cooked). For a vegan, especially one who normally eats whole food, such food has a very strange effect. I only had a small fries.

I totally agree with Herr. When those ingredients (won't call it food) are in your system, they are like a drug, you crave them, then are satisfied and then crave them again. But once you break that cycle, those ingredients are foreign and sickening. Plus when you're used to eating whole foods, you tend not to eat so much, because less is more, the body gets as much nutrition as the it needs in less bites, whereas the portion sizes of McD are huge! I can absolutely see how he had to force feed himself to get through it. It's gross to even think about it.