Today, October 9, is the Feast Day of Blessed John Henry Newman
(10-09-2010, 05:28 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Newman's date of death is August 11. That day already has an obligatory memorial in the Novus Ordo calendar for Saint Clare of Assisi. It was also the feast of Philomena until 1961.

Was there no other date available close to August 11?  Lots of times the feast or memorial is shifted to a nearby date.  Lots of people share dates, too, but I guess the bigger names get one where they are the star.  I looked up a couple whom I knew had a memorial different from their death date:

St. Teresa of Avila died on October 4 but her memorial is October 15, shared with 15 others ; October 4 being the death date and memorial of St. Francis of Assisi, and 21 others.  

St. Therese of Lisieux died on Sept. 30 but her memorial is Oct. 1.  36 others are shown on the calendar for that date, including St. Dodo!   Not a big name among saints but an interesting one.  

Sept. 30 is the memorial of St. Jerome, and 15 others.

Quick, what do St. Teresa, St. Therese, and St. Jerome have in common?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Today, October 9, is the Feast Day of Blessed John Henry Newman - by Revixit - 10-09-2010, 06:51 AM