Mother Teresa Postal Stamp just released in Sept. 2010
I have read that she got people baptized on their deathbeds -- that ought to be good for something.
My understanding is that she was more interested in people's physical well being that their souls.  That doesn't say saint to me.
I'll hit up usps.com when a Pope St. Pius X stamp is issued. Until then, no thanks.
Goodness - all this defensiveness over a wrinkled woman who saved dying people!   Admit that you probably haven't done much research into who she was and what she really did and thought.  Perhaps you are basing your opinion on information from someone less credible than yourselves.   And, sorry to burst bubbles, seeing a pic of Pope St. Pius X on a postage stamp doesn't make any statement to people in the secular world - and I wonder if he would really approve of all the "credit" certain folks give him today.  Saints like St. John of the Cross, St. Teresa of Avila, and St. John Vianney had many people on both sides hating them.  It seems Mother Teresa is the same.  Yes - atheists have vowed to boycott the stamps and radical feminists and abortionists hate her as well.  So, disapprove of her too if you will - you're in great company.  Just remember that the measure you judge with is what you will be judged with.   Can your life measure up to hers in service and devotion?  Christ said, "The least you do to one of these you do to Me."  I don't see people doing much here but griping about an extremely selfless woman because their information about her is poor and biased.  I heard one secular critic claim she was "in it for the money".  Do you think that?  Don't you see how delusional that is?  Nothing is ever good enough for some people - even Mother Teresa's tireless work and compassion for starving dying people in God's name.  So, sad.  This attitude is not from God. 

Well, goodnight.  You give me something to talk to God about indeed - I'm no saint but at least I know one when I see one.   

Satori, StrictCatholicGirl - I would just get out of this discussion it won't do much good.  These people just need prayers.   

(10-10-2010, 01:34 AM)Lee Timmer Wrote: I'll hit up usps.com when a Pope St. Pius X stamp is issued. Until then, no thanks.
(10-10-2010, 12:02 AM)dymphna17 Wrote: My understanding is that she was more interested in people's physical well being that their souls.  That doesn't say saint to me.
(10-09-2010, 11:00 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: What Peter said.  Also, she's not a Saint yet  either, so the same should apply to JPIIIIIIII1111111!!!!!!!!!!!
(10-09-2010, 08:28 PM)StAnnesPixies Wrote: I don't understand either - probably best not to inquire.  I don't think we want or should care to know.   :pazzo:

(10-09-2010, 08:01 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I don't understand the responses. Why shouldn't Mother Teresa have a stamp?

Don't worry. That kind will be happy to tell you whether you want to know or not.
(10-10-2010, 01:34 AM)Lee Timmer Wrote: I'll hit up usps.com when a Pope St. Pius X stamp is issued. Until then, no thanks.

PSPX stamp would be awesome
(10-09-2010, 11:32 PM)Satori Wrote: I have read that she got people baptized on their deathbeds -- that ought to be good for something.

I heard that she said, "A Buddhist should be a good Buddhist, a Muslim should be a good Muslim and a Hindu should be a good Hindu."

I've also seen a picture of her praying before a statue of Buddha.

More fruits of Vatican II.
I just attended a funeral mass where the priest was a young east Indian.  I wonder who his inspiration was? 

Probably best not to base our opinion of a famous figure on what the media presents as the truth.  Big mistake.  As always, go to the source.  Read Mother Teresa's writings and learn what her nuns do on a daily basis.  I understand they pray quite a bit.  I am sure they aren't praying to Buddah.  A picture of her praying in front of a Buddah statue isn't a sign of anything.  She could have been moved to pray for the conversion of India as she passed a Buddah statue.  She was a Catholic nun acting in the name of Jesus.  Everyone knows it.  Those dying in her houses knew she was doing it for Him.  In a country where the sick and lame are seen as undeserving - she treated them with dignity and reminded them that they were created in the image and likeness of God.   

So anyway, if anyone would like to purchase Mother Teresa stamps they are available.  If not then don't.  :)
StAnnesPixies:

This has nothing to do with the media. It has to do with her own words:

"Mother Teresa: 'I’ve always said we should help a Hindu
become a better Hindu, a Muslim become a better Muslim, a
Catholic become a better Catholic.' "

from Everything Starts From Prayer, Mother Teresa’s Meditations on Spiritual Life
for People of all Faiths

And from what I've seen of the picture, it really does look like she's praying to Buddha. All I'm saying is it could have been potentially scandalous.

Don't get me wrong, Mother Teresa's work was beautiful and inspirational. Some of her ideologies, however, do not line up with Catholic theology.
I see what you are saying.  But remember that many of the things Jesus said were seen as scandalous to the Jews and the Pharisees sometimes because they were simply taken out of context.  In the end she was trying to lead them to Jesus.  I know that some think she should just say - convert to Catholicism as herein lies salvation.  And I am sure she did say this to those who were ready.  The book you quote is a book that states it is for people of all faiths.  Who was the author?  If they were intending on writing a vauge "Chicken Soup for the Soul" type of book I could definitely see certain statements as taken out of context.   

Also - she can be mistaken in something she said years ago and still be canonized a saint (though I know she is not at this point).  St. Augustine was in error in some of his views of physical matter due perhaps to his sinful past (look this up for more details).  Saints are not infallible as Popes are.  I suppose a photo could be construed as scandalous but she was not actively trying to scandalize.  I don't think the atheists and others disapprove of her because they think she worships Buddah. 

As I said from the very beginning - purchase the stamps if you like.  Don't if you don't.