Winter Soup Recipes
It's really cold here. Please share your favorite winter soup recipes.  :eats:

Here's one to start with. I might try making this tonight if I can find "stalk cubes." (I suppose soup purists will object to the absence of real stock, but I just don't have the time to make both.)

Butternut Squash Soup

Serves: 4                    Preparation time: 35 minutes

1 large butternut squash
1 medium-large onion
500g potatoes
Fresh coriander leaves (optional)
1 stock cube
Knob of butter and 30ml olive oil
75ml double cream (optional)
Pepper to taste

1. Take the squash and chop off the stalk and flower. Peel with a potato peeler. Chop in half and use a spoon to remove all seeds. Chop into 1 inch cubes

2. Add the oil and butter to a large pan. Melt the butter on a low heat.

3. Peel & chop the onion. Fry it gently in the pan, with the lid on, until it starts to soften. Keep stirring and checking to make sure the onion doesn't brown.

4. Peel the potatoes and chop into slightly smaller cubes (about 2cm). Add to the onions, ensuring you stir them well to coat with oil.

5. Add the butternut squash. Stir well then cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

6. After 10 minutes check that the potato has started to soften. When it softens mix the stock with 1 litre of water and add to the pan. Simmer gently and wait until all vegetables are soft. This should take about 15 minutes and you may need to add water - add just enough to cover the vegetables or the soup will be too watery.

7. Add the cream and the coriander leaves (if using). Use an electric blender until smooth.
Couldn't find the squash; made this instead.

Potato Soup

Ingredients:
1 medium onion or leek, finely chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
3 medium-sized potatoes peeled and diced
Cup of milk
2 oz/50 g butter (1/2 stick)
A further one or two tablespoons of butter
Salt and pepper
Fresh parsley (or chives or dill) for garnish

Method:
Chop the vegetables into roughly even sized pieces. Melt the butter and sauté the onion until they are yellow and soft. Add the other vegetables and continue sautéing with the lid on, over a low heat, for 5-10 minutes.
Add 3 cups water or stock and season with salt and pepper and add the bay leaf. Cook until the vegetables are tender. When vegetables are ready, remove the bay leaf and add 1 cup of milk and 1-2 tablespoons butter. Reheat (but don’t boil). Once the soup is on the soup plate, garnish with parsley (or chives or dill). Serve with crusty bread and butter.

Cream of  Potato and Leek Soup

ingredients:
4 medium sized leeks, sliced and thoroughly washed
1 small onion, skinned and sliced
3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp  butter (25 g)
2 pts  vegetable stock (1.1L)
salt and pepper
3 tbsp cream (45 ml)

Saute the vegetables in the butter for about 5 minutes, until soft but not browned.  Add the stock, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.

Puree it in an electric blender and return it to the pan.

Re-heat if necessary, re-season, and stir in the cream just before serving.

ETA:  I see that you beat me to it.
ST. NICHOLAS SOUP
2 leaks or onions
5 medium carrots
2 turnips
5 potatoes
½ head medium cabbage
4 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
4 quarts water
Croutons for garnish

Peel and dice vegetables.  Shred the cabbage.

Melt butter in soup pot.  Add the vegetables and salt, and stir.  Turn off heat, cover, and let rest for 15 – 20 minutes.

Add water and bring pot to a boil.  Reduce to low or medium heat, cover and cook slowly for 30-40 minutes.

When finished, purée in a blender until creamy and smooth.

This recipe is from From A Monastery Kitchen by Brother Victor-Antoine d’ Aila-Latourrette

It also calls for 1/3 cup minced chervil as a garnish, along with croutons, but I’ve never been able to find chervil.

I will add garlic.  If I have cloves I’ll dice 2-3 and sauté them in the butter, otherwise I’ll use granules.  I also add a dash of cumin.  I usually make this in a crock pot, and simmer it on low all night.

I make gallons of winter soups from peas and lentils, as I live in the Palouse region of eastern WA and northern ID, the lentil “capital” of the US http://www.pea-lentil.com, though I tend to be more “free form” with those, rather than use a recipe.  Chopped onions, carrots, celery, and corn are ingredients that go well with lentils.  I usually add sausage or diced ham, or clams (canned from Costco) for a Friday soup.  Lentils, onions, celery, corn, diced tomatoes, sausage or hamburger, and bbq sauce (or some honey and brown sugar) make a hearty chili.  For variation, and to “bulk up” the soup, I may add wheat berries, cooked barley, or cooked rice.

In addition to salt I will add pepper, garlic (chopped cloves if I have them, otherwise granules), cumin, Worchestershire Sauce, and bay leaf to any soup I make.
Here's one I just came up with for a diabetic relative who's trying to lose weight.

Curried Pumpkin with Chicken

two cans pumpkin puree (no sugar or spices added)
two cansful of water
two cups low- or no-fat chicken stock
about three pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast
one large onion
one large red bell pepper
two plump garlic cloves
curry seasoning, salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Thoroughly mix together the pumpkin, water, and stock in a soup pot; heat. While the pumpkin mixture heats, chop the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces, mince the onion and pepper, and press the garlic. Saute these in about a tablespoon of olive oil till the chicken is white on the outside. Add meat and vegetables to the soup, add seasoning. Simmer till the meat and vegetables are tender and the flavors thoroughly blended, about an hour or so. The spice should add just enough heat to open your sinuses, not enough to hurt your mouth.

I served this with parkin muffins, a good accompaniment (my own version of this Scottish recipe, which is eggless and uses half whole wheat flour and only molasses for sweetening, to make it more nutritious and less fattening).
(10-10-2010, 03:57 PM)Texican Wrote: ETA:  I see that you beat me to it.

Yours is different. Think I might try that one next.
I want soup.  I might have to dig out some recipes.  Those potato soups sound good.
(10-12-2010, 12:23 PM)cgraye Wrote: I want soup.  I might have to dig out some recipes.  Those potato soups sound good.

If you make the first one it's good with lots and lots and lots and lots of pepper.

Well, I thought so anyway.
(10-12-2010, 07:51 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(10-12-2010, 12:23 PM)cgraye Wrote: I want soup.  I might have to dig out some recipes.  Those potato soups sound good.

If you make the first one it's good with lots and lots and lots and lots of pepper.

Well, I thought so anyway.

You've just given me a droll image of the Duchess' cook in Alice in Wonderland, putting so much pepper in the soup that Alice, the Duchess, the Cheshire Cat and the baby were all sneezing.
I basically lived on potato soup for my last year and a half of college. Potato soup and soft pretzels (not together). Mmmm.