Winter Soup Recipes
It was homemade clam chowder tonight.  Similar to potato soup, but even better!
(10-12-2010, 08:37 PM)Satori Wrote:
(10-12-2010, 07:51 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(10-12-2010, 12:23 PM)cgraye Wrote: I want soup.  I might have to dig out some recipes.  Those potato soups sound good.

If you make the first one it's good with lots and lots and lots and lots of pepper.

Well, I thought so anyway.

You've just given me a droll image of the Duchess' cook in Alice in Wonderland, putting so much pepper in the soup that Alice, the Duchess, the Cheshire Cat and the baby were all sneezing.

Ha ha I had forgotten all about that duchess. Now I remember why I liked her so much. "What are tarts made of?" "Pepper, mostly."
(10-13-2010, 08:46 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(10-12-2010, 08:37 PM)Satori Wrote:
(10-12-2010, 07:51 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(10-12-2010, 12:23 PM)cgraye Wrote: I want soup.  I might have to dig out some recipes.  Those potato soups sound good.

If you make the first one it's good with lots and lots and lots and lots of pepper.

Well, I thought so anyway.

You've just given me a droll image of the Duchess' cook in Alice in Wonderland, putting so much pepper in the soup that Alice, the Duchess, the Cheshire Cat and the baby were all sneezing.

Ha ha I had forgotten all about that duchess. Now I remember why I liked her so much. "What are tarts made of?" "Pepper, mostly."

Heh. You're good.

I made a very tasty soup tonight out of a giant can of tomatoes, a leek, some homemade chicken stock with a little meat, and bacon. It was what I had. Oh, and yes, I put in a fair amount of pepper.
(10-10-2010, 03:49 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Couldn't find the squash; made this instead.

Potato Soup

Ingredients:
1 medium onion or leek, finely chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
3 medium-sized potatoes peeled and diced
Cup of milk
2 oz/50 g butter (1/2 stick)
A further one or two tablespoons of butter
Salt and pepper
Fresh parsley (or chives or dill) for garnish

Method:
Chop the vegetables into roughly even sized pieces. Melt the butter and sauté the onion until they are yellow and soft. Add the other vegetables and continue sautéing with the lid on, over a low heat, for 5-10 minutes.
Add 3 cups water or stock and season with salt and pepper and add the bay leaf. Cook until the vegetables are tender. When vegetables are ready, remove the bay leaf and add 1 cup of milk and 1-2 tablespoons butter. Reheat (but don’t boil). Once the soup is on the soup plate, garnish with parsley (or chives or dill). Serve with crusty bread and butter.

I'm in bed sick with a cold and that soup would go down so well right now.
(10-13-2010, 09:55 PM)Servus_Maria Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 03:49 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Couldn't find the squash; made this instead.

Potato Soup

Ingredients:
1 medium onion or leek, finely chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
3 medium-sized potatoes peeled and diced
Cup of milk
2 oz/50 g butter (1/2 stick)
A further one or two tablespoons of butter
Salt and pepper
Fresh parsley (or chives or dill) for garnish

Method:
Chop the vegetables into roughly even sized pieces. Melt the butter and sauté the onion until they are yellow and soft. Add the other vegetables and continue sautéing with the lid on, over a low heat, for 5-10 minutes.
Add 3 cups water or stock and season with salt and pepper and add the bay leaf. Cook until the vegetables are tender. When vegetables are ready, remove the bay leaf and add 1 cup of milk and 1-2 tablespoons butter. Reheat (but don’t boil). Once the soup is on the soup plate, garnish with parsley (or chives or dill). Serve with crusty bread and butter.

I'm in bed sick with a cold and that soup would go down so well right now.

I hope you have somebody to bring you a bowl of soup, poor thang.
and a sammich
Chicken Tortellini Soup... I came up with this one night using only stuff I had around the kitchen. It's really just a twist on what could be considered a basic chicken soup recipe. The hubs asks me to make it all the time now.

1-1.5 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
Season well with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and a bit of your favorite "chicken" seasoning and a pinch of cayenne. Cook in a dutch oven, with olive oil, over med heat until just done and slightly browned. Remove and set aside.

Add:
1 small (I like yellow) onion, diced
1-2 carrots, diced
1-2 celery pieces (I like to include the leafy tops too), diced
4-5 yukon gold potatoes, diced with skins on
Season well with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
Cook about 5 min. I just try to get a little color on all the veggies.

Add
1 clove garlic, pressed or grated
Handful of herbs... I use freeze dried because they're always in my pantry. It includes thyme, sage, rosemary, chive and scallion. Fresh is good too. I make a bundle with some kitchen string so it can be removed later.
1 bay leaf
Cook for about 5 more min.
Put chicken back in the pot.

Add 2 quarts of quality chicken stock or broth. I like to use one really rich type and one lighter type. Bring to a boil and then let simmer at least 20-25 min so the potatoes can cook.
Then add about 2/3 of a quality "family size" cheese tortellini or ravioli. I really like the tri-color tortellini you find in the cooler section. Simmer until tortellini is cooked then remove from heat and add
1-2 C of room temp half and half...  ;D Shave some fresh parm into the bowls and serve with yummy bread and butter.

I think this soup is way better the next day. All the flavors get into the tortellini.... yum. I reheat it very gently over the stove top so the cream doesn't separate.

[Image: 34136_1352575135969_1279110038_30931866_6975917_n.jpg]
That sound positively YUMMY!

I don't know how my Best Ever Potato Soup Recipe will compare, but here it is:

Best Ever Potato Soup

6 Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled.  (I like bacon so sometimes I use more OR I sometimes substitute leftover Ham from Sunday dinner.)
3 cups potatoes, cubed
2 cups of chicken broth (Recipe calls for 14 oz can, but I like homemade WAY better!)
1 small grated carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 TBSP dried parsley
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp salt (I prefer sea salt)
1/8 tsp pepper (recipe calls for 1/4 tsp, I think that is too much.  Adjust to taste)
3 TBSP flour
3 cups milk
1/2 lb shredded cheddar cheese
2 green onions, sliced, for garnish

Combine ALL ingredients EXCEPT milk, flour, and cheese.  Simmer for 15 minutes, or until potato is tender.  Blend milk and flour together.  Add to soup and boil for 2 minutes.  Add cheese and stir until melted.  Garnish with green onion slices, if desired.  (I bet a dollop of sour cream would be excellent as well.)

I don't know how much a single recipe makes because I always double it for my 5 kids plus hubby and me.

If you try it, let me know what you think of it. :)
Sounds yummy! I like any soup that has taters in it.  :)
This is the way my grandma makes pumpkin soup and it's the best pumpkin soup I've had.

Cut the pumpkin and arrange in a baking tray. Cover with garlic, oil, honey and whatever other spices you want. Roast until golden and soft. Put the honey roasted pieces into a blender and blend. Transfer to a pot, re-heat and add cream.
;D