Winter Soup Recipes
Italians make a soup called Minestra. It contains beans and greens, but you can try any combination you'd like. It's best if you use Chicken Stock but water will work too. It's best to use pacetta, or mezzina, but bacon and fatback work equally as well, and you can skip the meat for Fridays. This is the stripped down Friday version, scale it as you need.

1 small celery diced spoon sized
2 onions 'bout the size of a 14" softball, diced spoon sized
I carrot diced small
I lb Spinach, Escarole,
1-28 ox diced Italian tomatoes Marzano or Red Gold
1 lb. Lentils
V-8 juice
2 cans of Veg. Stock if Friday or water.
1lb. small pasta for broth like shellsor elbows or whatever the supermarket has and you fancy. Cook 'em, rinse 'em, cool 'em and stuff 'em in a storage bag with some oil not to stick, and store until the time.

If you are going to use some bacon or other, brown it off first and save the pieces, or if you are not then add some
butter, and olive oil in a Stock pot saute celery, onion, and carrot, till 2/3 cooked, add 28 oz . can of tomatoes continue to saute and cook the tomatoes, add the lentils, add the stock, or water, bring to a boil and lower to cook the lentils for about twenty minutes, add the Spinach or Escarole cook until soft, add some V-8 if more stock is needed or water or both. It's not supposed to be like a tomato sauce but tomato flavored soup. Add S+P to taste Put the pasta in the bowl and ladle the Minestra over it then your favorite grated cheese, serve with a salad and french bread and butter.

Other pairing are;
great northern beans and Savoy Cabbage,
Cannelini beans and Escarola,
Pinto beans and Brocc. Rabi
you get the idea, and you can riff with different vegetables, no greens, no pasta for diet, two smoked meats.
tim

I made this last night, and it was really good!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-...index.html

Pork-and-Pumpkin Chili
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine

Prep Time:--Inactive Prep Time:--Cook Time:1 hr 40 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
6-8 servings

Ingredients
3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 12-ounce bottle Mexican lager
Kosher salt
2 to 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
3 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin (about 1 3/4 cups)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
2 medium white onions, diced
1/4 cup chili powder, plus more for sprinkling
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 bunch mustard greens, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
Lime wedges, for serving
Directions
Combine the pork, beer, 3 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt in a large pot and bring to a simmer over medium heat, skimming the foam off the surface. Add the chipotles and 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, cover and cook about 30 minutes.

Mix 3 tablespoons pumpkin, the sour cream and salt to taste in a bowl; cover and chill.

Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, poblano, onions and 2 teaspoons salt; cook until soft, 15 minutes. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, the chili powder and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Add the remaining pumpkin and cook 5 minutes.

Add the tomato mixture to the pork and simmer until the meat is tender, about 30 minutes. Add the greens and cook 10 more minutes. Season with salt. Ladle the chili into bowls; top with the pumpkin cream and more chili powder. Serve with lime wedges.

Photograph by Andrew Mccaul
(10-17-2010, 01:04 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: This is the way my grandma makes pumpkin soup and it's the best pumpkin soup I've had.

Cut the pumpkin and arrange in a baking tray. Cover with garlic, oil, honey and whatever other spices you want. Roast until golden and soft. Put the honey roasted pieces into a blender and blend. Transfer to a pot, re-heat and add cream.
;D

I love vague add-to-taste recipes like this! I will try this one soon.
(10-10-2010, 01:35 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: It's really cold here. Please share your favorite winter soup recipes.  :eats:

Here's one to start with. I might try making this tonight if I can find "stalk cubes." (I suppose soup purists will object to the absence of real stock, but I just don't have the time to make both.)

Butternut Squash Soup

Serves: 4                    Preparation time: 35 minutes

1 large butternut squash

Would this work if I substitute pumpkin for the squash?  I have a pumpkin to use and all the rest of the ingredients (which I don't have for the other pumpkin recipes here.)
(10-27-2010, 12:07 PM)JayneK Wrote: Would this work if I substitute pumpkin for the squash?  I have a pumpkin to use and all the rest of the ingredients (which I don't have for the other pumpkin recipes here.)

Nobody answered  :(  so I went ahead and tried it anyhow.  I think it would be better with butternut squash but it was ok.  My son told my husband, "You have to try this.  It tastes almost exactly like some delicious soup."  :laughing:
Lol, almost exactly.
I still haven't tried that particular recipe (haven't found the squash) but substituting pumpkin sounds good.
(10-27-2010, 07:18 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: I still haven't tried that particular recipe (haven't found the squash) but substituting pumpkin sounds good.

I'd heard that you can usually use winter squashes interchangeably, but I had misgivings since pumpkin's flavour is so much stronger than butternut.  I put in a bit extra potato to compensate.
(10-10-2010, 03:49 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Couldn't find the squash; made this instead.

Potato Soup

Ingredients:
1 medium onion or leek, finely chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
3 medium-sized potatoes peeled and diced
Cup of milk
2 oz/50 g butter (1/2 stick)
A further one or two tablespoons of butter
Salt and pepper
Fresh parsley (or chives or dill) for garnish

Method:
Chop the vegetables into roughly even sized pieces. Melt the butter and sauté the onion until they are yellow and soft. Add the other vegetables and continue sautéing with the lid on, over a low heat, for 5-10 minutes.
Add 3 cups water or stock and season with salt and pepper and add the bay leaf. Cook until the vegetables are tender. When vegetables are ready, remove the bay leaf and add 1 cup of milk and 1-2 tablespoons butter. Reheat (but don’t boil). Once the soup is on the soup plate, garnish with parsley (or chives or dill). Serve with crusty bread and butter.

This sounds fantastic.  We are having a really cool day here today; sounds like a great idea for dinner.  I had a potato soup a few weeks ago that was also fantastic.  It had a fantastic onion taste.  I think this is key to making it taste good.
This is for tonight. You'll need Chicken Soup, some pasta, spinach, eggs, Parmigiano, nutmeg, and if you like garlic powder like Lawry's.
Cook some soup pasta, rinse, and hold.
Reheat the Chicken Soup. ( Use canned if you don't have some.) ( for one I use 16 oz. chicken soup )
Microwave frozen spinach as directed. (Use as much as you like. I use a half of a bag of frozen about 8 oz. for one, me)
Beat two eggs well, add Parmigiano, salt and pepper, nutmeg optional, (add some Lawry's garlic to your taste for a flair )and mix.
When Soup is boiling add the cooked spinach and the cooked pasta, when it returns to the boil add the eggs and Parmigiano with garlic and stir a bit, then when eggs are done in a minute or so, serve with french bread, butter, and a salad.

A variation is to not use the pasta, substitute day old stale real Italian bread like Rusticano in the bottom of the bowl instead, add the soup.

It's called Stracciatella, it means ripped like the eggs are.
tim