refuse smokers employment
(10-10-2010, 10:31 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: But I would like to see smoking banned in public areas like bus stops, intersections, building exits/entrances etc. That stuff is dangerous.

Says the man with Tolkien smoking a pipe as his avatar...

Let me get this straight.  You think standing next to a guy smoking a butt at the bus stop is going to give you more carcinogens and toxins than all the automotive pollution you're breathing in at that same bus stop considering it is most likely on a main road?

Second hand smoke may be dangerous for someone who works eight hours a day in a tavern where smoking is allowed, but to worry about walking past someone who is smoking is kinda paranoid if you ask me.
(10-15-2010, 01:58 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(10-10-2010, 10:31 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: But I would like to see smoking banned in public areas like bus stops, intersections, building exits/entrances etc. That stuff is dangerous.

Says the man with Tolkien smoking a pipe as his avatar...

I chose Tolkien because he was a traditionalist Catholic who didn't like the NO mass changes and would loudly respond in Latin during the service, according to accounts from his grandson. 

The pipe is a historic reality I can't change. 

I suppose if I had a photo of my grandfather smoking during his World War 2 days that could be my avatar even if I'm against smoking. 

Although as a child I enjoyed the smell of my father's pipe tobacco.

(10-15-2010, 01:58 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Let me get this straight.  You think standing next to a guy smoking a butt at the bus stop is going to give you more carcinogens and toxins than all the automotive pollution you're breathing in at that same bus stop considering it is most likely on a main road? 

Second hand smoke may be dangerous for someone who works eight hours a day in a tavern where smoking is allowed, but to worry about walking past someone who is smoking is kinda paranoid if you ask me.

Yes, indeed smoking is allowed outdoors in general since brief exposure to second hand smoke probably only poses a negligible health risk. 

My point is that why should someone addicted to nicotine have a right to blow any smoke whatsoever around me? Tobacco companies are profiting from the slow murder of poor addicted souls. I think my right to a virtually smoke free existence trumps that sort of ridiculously unethical and anachronistic situation. 

Smoking is slowly getting banned in more and more places. It's illegal in bars and restaurants in my province. Another province is making it illegal in parks. 

So I don't think it's right for smokers to indulge in high-traffic or waiting areas, like bus stops, in front of building entrances, etc. 

(10-15-2010, 01:58 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote: Let me get this straight.  You think standing next to a guy smoking a butt at the bus stop is going to give you more carcinogens and toxins than all the automotive pollution you're breathing in at that same bus stop considering it is most likely on a main road? 

So I don't think it's right for smokers to indulge in high-traffic or waiting areas, like bus stops, in front of building entrances, etc. 

I don't know why non-smokers care so much. If I was taking drags on my cigs and blowing the smoke in babies' faces or something I could understand but I'm just having a smoke. I'm not a walking bio hazard...
(10-15-2010, 01:39 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(10-15-2010, 11:34 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote: In fact, smokers could start by refusing to answer such questions on an employment application, stating that they don't wish to reveal personal medical information.

It isn't on applications, but on insurance forms. Lying to insurance companies to obtain coverage is fraud and a crime.
I've seen it on employment applications.
(10-15-2010, 05:04 PM)Bearded Man Wrote:

I don't know why non-smokers care so much. If I was taking drags on my cigs and blowing the smoke in babies' faces or something I could understand but I'm just having a smoke. I'm not a walking bio hazard...

Well, you're a walking bio-hazard to yourself at least.

For sure, if there's a nice little breeze and I pass a smoker walking the other direction on the sidewalk, no big deal.

But I'm an urbanite. You know, go for the morning coffee with colleagues, have to exit doors and there are stationery smokers. then in front of the coffee shop there are stationery smokers. I go to mass at lunch, have to walk by clusters of stationery smokers. I just hate breathing in that junk. It's just gross. it's like being forced to smell farts. Blech.
A private employer should have the right to hire whomever he pleases, smoker or not.
I'm all for it.  Kick the smokers out of their jobs so I can have one.

Smokers are already quite wealthy anyway.
(10-17-2010, 11:59 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(10-15-2010, 05:04 PM)Bearded Man Wrote:

Well, you're a walking bio-hazard to yourself at least.

For sure, if there's a nice little breeze and I pass a smoker walking the other direction on the sidewalk, no big deal.

But I'm an urbanite. You know, go for the morning coffee with colleagues, have to exit doors and there are stationery smokers. then in front of the coffee shop there are stationery smokers. I go to mass at lunch, have to walk by clusters of stationery smokers. I just hate breathing in that junk. It's just gross. it's like being forced to smell farts. Blech.

Yeah, I can see where a whole mess of people chain smoking on a street corner would be aggravating to passersby. Not that many crowds round here, I forget that isn't the norm.
(10-18-2010, 12:05 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Smokers are already quite wealthy anyway.

Nope, you just prioritize your necessities to pay for those expensive smokes. Maybe cut back on the desserts and dog treats a little and there's the money!
(10-18-2010, 12:53 AM)Bearded Man Wrote:
(10-18-2010, 12:05 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Smokers are already quite wealthy anyway.

Nope, you just prioritize your necessities to pay for those expensive smokes. Maybe cut back on the desserts and dog treats a little and there's the money!

There was an able-bodied man asking for "money for coffee" outside the subway station this afternoon. Since he was smoking, I told him if he quit smoking he would have money for coffee.

I just think it's so sad that sometimes the poor will smoke more, drink more, eat more junk food.