refuse smokers employment
(10-18-2010, 01:01 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(10-18-2010, 12:53 AM)Bearded Man Wrote:
(10-18-2010, 12:05 AM)dark lancer Wrote: Smokers are already quite wealthy anyway.

Nope, you just prioritize your necessities to pay for those expensive smokes. Maybe cut back on the desserts and dog treats a little and there's the money!

There was an able-bodied man asking for "money for coffee" outside the subway station this afternoon. Since he was smoking, I told him if he quit smoking he would have money for coffee.

I just think it's so sad that sometimes the poor will smoke more, drink more, eat more junk food.

A little will-power goes a long way. I've got family that live in shacks and can barely pay the rent or buy food but guess who has a brand new truck every year? It's not just sad, it's downright despicable...
(10-18-2010, 01:01 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: There was an able-bodied man asking for "money for coffee" outside the subway station this afternoon. Since he was smoking, I told him if he quit smoking he would have money for coffee.

In Les Mes, Hugo adresses this....there may not be money for food, but by God, there was money for tobacco (paraphrased)

My mom worked for Philip Morris for decades...so I'm glad for folks to smoke...I have even had a few here and there...but damn I don't want to smell that crap any place but in a bar....but I don't know about the .gov interfering...because they ALWAY screw it up...it does not matter what "it" is..the .gov will screw it up.
It follows that if you can afford a smoking habit, you are fairly wealthy.

$1095 in yearly taxes for a daily pack habit in my state.
And there shouldn't be ANY tax on it...so what does that tell you...

Cig price is mostly .gov theft....more .govs working to enslave you....vote for slavery...vote .gov today
(10-18-2010, 02:30 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: And there shouldn't be ANY tax on it...so what does that tell you...

Cig price is mostly .gov theft....more .govs working to enslave you....vote for slavery...vote .gov today

Save time, don't smoke.
You can smoke and do many things...there's not much of a time savings....better to suggest not posting on internet forums...that saves time and forces you to do something real...even if it's just a relaxing smoke.
(10-18-2010, 04:10 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: You can smoke and do many things...there's not much of a time savings....better to suggest not posting on internet forums...that saves time and forces you to do something real...even if it's just a relaxing smoke.

You misunderstand, of course.  It's a waste of time trying to get the state governments to repeal such taxes, so just stop smoking and deny them your contribution.
(10-18-2010, 12:00 AM)Underdog Wrote: A private employer should have the right to hire whomever he pleases, smoker or not.

I agree.
(10-18-2010, 08:27 AM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(10-18-2010, 12:00 AM)Underdog Wrote: A private employer should have the right to hire whomever he pleases, smoker or not.

I agree.

Me, too.  Private business owners should be able to run their own businesses.  Hiring smokers and allowing smoking in their establishment should both be up to the business owner.  Gumint needs to mind it's own beeswax.
(10-18-2010, 02:30 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: And there shouldn't be ANY tax on it...so what does that tell you...

Taxes on vices make sense though - it's an easy revenue grab for governments. It also helps reflect the true cost of smoking to society.