CAF problem
I was threatened with suspension on Catholic Answers for promoting the TLM over the Novus Ordo. They just don't want to hear it.
(10-10-2010, 08:56 PM)love alabama Wrote: I was threatened with suspension on Catholic Answers for promoting the TLM over the Novus Ordo. They just don't want to hear it.

What exact words did you use?

Was it something like,

1. Hey the NO is invalid so you better go to a TLM or else you are not really receiving the blessed Sacrament? or was it more like,

2. Hey I have gone to TLM and to the NO and I have to tell you, you have will be spiritually fed at a TLM in ways the NO never has for me.

That sometimes makes a difference.
The folks on Catholic Answers believe that the Latin language is a barrier to bringing people into the church, They believe the vernacular language is needed for people to understand the mass.They are wrong there is plenty of room for the vernacular in classes teaching the faith but when it comes to worshipping Almighty God we ned to do things special such as using a sacred language, recieving communion on the tongue to emphasize the uniqueness of this percieved piece of bread, kneeling because we are in the presence of God. When we try to make The Mass relevant to the age we live in we forget it and its liturgical moves are part of eternity not the 1500s , the 1700s , the 1960s or the 2010 era.  LEARN IN THE VERNACULAR WORSHIP SACREDLY .
(10-10-2010, 09:09 PM)salus Wrote: The folks on Catholic Answers believe that the Latin language is a barrier to bringing people into the church, They believe the vernacular language is needed for people to understand the mass.They are wrong there is plenty of room for the vernacular in classes teaching the faith but when it comes to worshipping Almighty God we ned to do things special such as using a sacred language, recieving communion on the tongue to emphasize the uniqueness of this percieved piece of bread, kneeling because we are in the presence of God. When we try to make The Mass relevant to the age we live in we forget it and its liturgical moves are part of eternity not the 1500s , the 1700s , the 1960s or the 2010 era.  LEARN IN THE VERNACULAR WORSHIP SACREDLY .

Funny I have listened to Catholic answers live on the radio for 3 years and I have never once heard any of their apologists, hosts or guests say anything negative about the Latin language or its use in the Liturgy.

If you however are talking about the forums, yes there is plenty of ignorant Catholics about their faith and what the sacred language of the Church represents, however I would not generalize the way you have.
How hard is it for someone who can't speak Latin to follow along?

Why can't Latin Mass parishes have Latin study groups to teach Latin?

Why shouldn't Catholics worldwide revive Latin to become united in language as well as faith?
(10-10-2010, 09:09 PM)salus Wrote: The folks on Catholic Answers believe that the Latin language is a barrier to bringing people into the church, They believe the vernacular language is needed for people to understand the mass.They are wrong there is plenty of room for the vernacular in classes teaching the faith but when it comes to worshipping Almighty God we ned to do things special such as using a sacred language, recieving communion on the tongue to emphasize the uniqueness of this percieved piece of bread, kneeling because we are in the presence of God. When we try to make The Mass relevant to the age we live in we forget it and its liturgical moves are part of eternity not the 1500s , the 1700s , the 1960s or the 2010 era.  LEARN IN THE VERNACULAR WORSHIP SACREDLY .

This is typical CAF.  The forum is Novus Ordo NewChurch through-and-through.  They say that Latin is a barrier to bringing people into the Church!?  What nonsense!  I guess the Church was wrong for the 1,930 years before the horrid Second Vatican Council.  They refuse to see that a universal Church MUST have a universal language, and THIS is what would unite people.  The vernacular only divides people, hence the Mexicans only attending "Spanish Masses" and Germans only attending "German Masses" etc.  How is that "bringing people together?"  That is so obviously a divisive trait that it amazes me how one could argue otherwise.  But, the vast majority of Novus Ordo Catholics think that the Church actually began in 1965 with the close of Vatican II.  This is why I always say that there is a false religion that is working in the midst of the true religion - that is, the human element of the "official structure" of the Church has been infiltrated and usurped by  proponents of this new religion which we trads label as "neo-Catholicism."  In these days of utter confusion, the false religion is in such close proximity to the true religion that most people cannot see them as two opposing entities, but mix them up together as one whole.  This is why I also say that a major public split really needs to occur in the official structure of the Church - so the false religion and the true religion can be publicly divided, thus separating the weeds from the wheat and ending the rampant confusion that has ruled since the 1960's.
I recommend you to meditate on Pope Damasus I (366-383), who changed the original Greek to Latin

- is really the Latin the eternal language?

- was God wrong then he let written down the words and deeds of His Word in the vulgar (koine) Greek instead of the sacred eternal Latin?

Also believe me and read my posts, you cannot feel a second language. God wants you not only to be present and follow, but to feel and participate.

There were problems with the new language in the 4th Century, and there are problems now. It was not a mistake that the XXI Ecumenical council ordered only the teaching part of the Mass to be in vernacular; but the idea itself we must learn the Words of God  in our own language is sound. The fact that the full vernacular translation was too fast does not kills the idea itself.

One more point: in the 1st century AD the 'classical language was the Latin of a different version of the Greek. The koine, the language of the New Testament is vulgar language. God wanted to reach everybody, he did not wanted to restrict His Words to the elite. Also the fist mass praised God in that koine, the vulgar language.
LOL
When we went to the Mexican Restaurant in our neighborhood my son noticed a flyer next to the door for the Spanish service Mass. Before I even gave it much thought, I said, Sounds lovely, but it ain't catholic. I didn't mean that the Mass was invalid, or not "C"atholic, but really--are 21 different Mass language options in the Archd. of Washington really "catholic"?
(10-11-2010, 07:14 AM)glgas Wrote: - is really the Latin the eternal language?
No, but it is the common language.

Quote:Also believe me and read my posts, you cannot feel a second language. God wants you not only to be present and follow, but to feel and participate.
No, God does not want us to "feel", but to believe and choose.

Quote:One more point: in the 1st century AD the 'classical language was the Latin of a different version of the Greek. The koine, the language of the New Testament is vulgar language. God wanted to reach everybody, he did not wanted to restrict His Words to the elite. Also the fist mass praised God in that koine, the vulgar language.

This is why Catechisms, books and the sermon are in the vernacular. The liturgy itself is not for the people though, it is a prayer directed towards God.

Take note. In a typical NO parish and a typical TLM parish, which acts more like they are in the presence of Christ during the consecration? One groups hears "For this is my Body" outloud and directed towards them, and the other probably does not even hear "Hic est enim corpus est". Watch as they receive it too.

The use of the vernacular has hindered understanding.

Jesus probably used the the liturgical language of his time, Hebrew, during the prayers of the Last Supper. The scriptures were written as testimony to these events, and they were directed towards people. The fact that documents written for people are in the common language is not a surprise. This does not reflect on the language used when directed towards God.

EDIT: I don't know much about that forum, but I do think it is against general policy to discuss these things like this. It is their forum and their rules. Membership is voluntary. If one does not like the community, one does not have to participate in it.