Are you gluten free or know someone who is?
Help!

I've seen that a few people up here have gluten free experience, I hope you don't mind me calling on you for your stories. I've gone gluten free after about 15 years of mysterious illnesses that could never quite be diagnosed and overall I feel much better just a few weeks in, but I am CRAVING "wheat highs". I'm getting good carb intake from beans/legumes, rice and corn and I've upped my protein as well, but my body is so used to the blood sugar highs from wheat and it's having difficulty adjusting to stability. I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm not really, it's just the wheat addiction, the roller coaster effect isn't there anymore. Please tell me your success stories to help me through this phase. It's taking a lot of will power, today in particular. I am gaining an appreciation for the very physical side of addiction. 

Thank you!
bump...no one can relate?

Although I am doing better today thankfully.
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aca...com+celiac
and
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aca...com+gluten
I'm supposed to be gluten free when I'm eating properly.

Only thing I can suggest is to find something to replace the addiction with.  I find it very difficult to eat properly unless there's something available that at least feels like I shouldn't be able to eat/drink it.  My current thing is ganoderma coffee - coffee with no caffeine but with ganoderma extract, which gives you a strong energy hit but without the ill effects or the blood sugar downer.

There are so many gluten free things available these days that I'm sure you'll be able to find something.
Hi,
Sorry I didn't spot this sooner. Yeah, I'm gluten free since August. Don't miss the wheat really but it sure means giving up a lot. But I feel so much better I just don't care that I will never have pizza, pasta, Popeye's chicken, fudge, brownies, barbecue sauce, bread, cookies...OK, that's TMI. Never had that much of a sweet tooth really. I have noticed my appetite has picked up which means making careful choices.
But honestly my energy level is up, my autoimmune issues are calming down, my 15 year chronic indigestion and fatigue spells are going away so this is the life! To me I'm just so happy to have an answer to my problems that adjusting to the diet doesn't bother me that much. Just remember going back to gluten means physical decline. If you remind yourself of that I think it's so much easier.

C.
Well, I can related indirectly from having quit smoking in the past, and, of course, with sinful temptations.

Fight each battle of temptation like it's the war to end all wars.  Don't give in.  Slowly but surely the battles are easier to win, then what was a craving becomes a thought that it would be nice to have X, and then eventually even those calm down.  Once in a while something will spike out of the blue, but for the most part after a certain point it's not a problem.

It's just a question of wearing down the addiction.  Don't give in, and things will get easier over time.  If you give in, you regress and all the effort up to that point is diminished in effect.  Then you have to regroup.  Trust me, it's easier to fight and win the against the temptations as they show up rather than regrouping.
Sorry, I did not see this. I have celiac disease, so no gluten for me. It will get easier. I have not had wheat products in years and rarely eat any of the safe substitutes either. Mainly I have the brown rice pasta, some short grain brown rice and those blue diamond crackers. I just mainly eat meat, eggs, fish, chicken, vegetables, and fruit. I also cannot tolerate dairy, so that's one more thing to avoid. I usually drink almond milk. I admit my diet is not very exciting. At least I am not sick anymore, and I didn't feel very well for a long, long time before stopping the gluten.
(10-30-2010, 09:58 PM)oremus Wrote: Sorry, I did not see this. I have celiac disease, so no gluten for me. It will get easier. I have not had wheat products in years and rarely eat any of the safe substitutes either. Mainly I have the brown rice pasta, some short grain brown rice and those blue diamond crackers. I just mainly eat meat, eggs, fish, chicken, vegetables, and fruit. I also cannot tolerate dairy, so that's one more thing to avoid. I usually drink almond milk. I admit my diet is not very exciting. At least I am not sick anymore, and I didn't feel very well for a long, long time before stopping the gluten.

Those Blue Diamond crackers are really good. And I think almond milk tastes much better than regular milk.
Thank you for sharing! There's a lot of info in those links too. The cravings are lessening. I have a bad day here and there but I'm definitely trying to focus on taking one day at a time. I don't want to have to do this all over again! I like those Blue Almond crackers too. If they were less expensive I'd eat them by the bag, like chips.
Hi again wallflower,
There is lots of good information at : http://www.celiac.com/

Very low gluten hosts from the Benedictine Sisters: http://www.benedictinesisters.org/bread/low_gluten.php

Last but not least, The Catholic Celiac Society: http://www.catholicceliacs.org/

C.