So, let's give it a try!
I never stated otherwise, did I? A husband can support his wife and family if he gets money and estates from the marriage dowry. There's nothing wrong with that.

Are you trying to suggest that a man marrying a rich woman is wrong, but a woman marrying a rich man is right?
(10-19-2010, 12:56 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: A husband can support his wife and family if he gets money and estates from the marriage dowry.

No father in his right mind would hand his daughter over to a man who had nothing to offer in exchange. I assume your negotiations are with the father, yes?
(10-19-2010, 12:59 PM)piabee Wrote:
(10-19-2010, 12:56 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: A husband can support his wife and family if he gets money and estates from the marriage dowry.

No father in his right mind would hand his daughter over to a man who had nothing to offer in exchange. I assume your negotiations are with the father, yes?
It's worth a try.
(10-19-2010, 01:05 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote:

It's worth a try.

Definitely worth a try.

I have some family properties but the major advantage would be to unite his family with mine. Call it a question of prestige, if you want.
(10-19-2010, 01:14 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(10-19-2010, 01:05 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote:

It's worth a try.

Definitely worth a try.

I have some family properties but the major advantage would be to unite his family with mine. Call it a question of prestige, if you want.

A statement, not a question.
Were I older and had I a daughter, I would gladly bequeath my vast fortune to Vetus Ordo.
Thank you, Louis. I appreciate your gesture.

I believe both our families would benefit from such a merry betrothal.
Thankfully neither of you will ever have a daughter. Just sayin.'  :tiphat:

Yeah, the only noble thing is for a father to exchange his daughter for something valuable.
(10-19-2010, 07:04 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Thankfully neither of you will ever have a daughter. Just sayin.'  :tiphat:

How could you possibly know that?  And isn't Vetus' faith more important than whatever sort of money or career he brings to the table?

When I have a daughter, if she wants to marry a pauper then she can do so.  So long as her husband is a devout pauper who will get her to heaven, what do I care?
(10-19-2010, 07:04 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: Thankfully neither of you will ever have a daughter. Just sayin.'  :tiphat:

What a daunting premonition! Either you're a psychic or a witch.