Muslim blasphemer dances on the high altar at the Florence Cathedral
(10-19-2010, 10:56 AM)Unum Sint Wrote: This is obviously sad and infuriating at the same time, however it begs the question.

Would this person dared to have danced on the altar if it was properly dressed with the Tabernacle attached to it with the the six candles on the altar and the Crucifix in the middle of it.

It seems to me that it is a lot easier to dance on a table than an altar.

Would he have dared to dance on the altar if it were properly dressed?  Why not?  He could have just danced around the objects or thrown them on the floor.  He had no respect for the fact that this was an altar in a cathedral.

The Duomo, like many of Florence's churches, is visited constantly by streams of tourists who go to see the frescoes, the carved pulpits, etc., so it's really not practical to keep the Tabernacle where few people will know to show it reverence.  

I'm afraid that crucifixes and candlesticks and linens would be stolen right off altars by thieves unless a church has constant security.  Tabernacles could be stolen, too.  I have been in most if not all of Florence's many churches and can only think of two churches where I ever saw a Tabernacle with an altar light indicating the Blessed Sacrament was present.  

Through the late 90s, I never saw signs of security guards inside the Duomo or priests bustling around, either, although it is Florence's cathedral and the archbishop says Mass there.  I'm sure it must be different just before Mass but we always went to Mass at San Miniato al Monte.

I miss going to Italy, miss seeing our Italian friends, but the country is being overrun by immigrants, mostly illegal, mostly Muslim.  I couldn't take seeing how bad it's gotten by now.

If you have the stomach for it, read the essay "The Rage and the Pride" by "Italy's most celebrated female writer, Oriana Fallaci."  It's available online, not that long, not at all PC about Islam.  She tells about earlier, disgusting acts of desecration of the Baptistery, which is directly across from the Duomo, and of the church behind the Duomo and says what she thinks about Italians' cowardice in regard to the mass movement of Muslims into the country.  She may have been the person to invent the term "Eurabia" or she may have adopted it from someone else.

"Fallaci, who fought in the anti-Fascist resistance as a teenager, wrote novels and memoirs, and lectured at universities such as Columbia, Harvard, and Yale, gained a reputation as an uncompromising political interviewer to whom virtually no world figure would say no."

"But Fallaci, who refuses to give interviews and hasn't published a single word for the past decade, unleashed a torrent of criticism and outrage with her screed La Rabbia e l'Orgoglio (The Rage and The Pride), written in angry reaction to the terrorist attacks in New York, where she lives…"

Fallaci covered wars and interviewed Khadaffi, Khoumeini, Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, Kissinger, and many others.  In 2001, when she wrote "The Rage and the Pride," she was already being treated for breast cancer, which finally took her life in 2006.  She returned to Florence, where she was born, to die.  She was an atheist but of course she was raised Catholic and she thought a lot more of what the Church had done for the world than what Islam has.  That's something she discusses in the article.

Before her death she met with Pope Benedict in a private audience.  I'd love to know what was said between them.  I hope she returned to the Faith before she died.

Note to the sensitive: There is profanity in "The Rage and the Pride."  The acts she describes call for profanity, in my view.

Isn't it prohibited in some interpretations in islam to dance? That poor fellow must have been totally elated when hearing music or something  :laughing:

But sure, I don't think that he understood the whole situation. I pretty sure that he hasn't been in many churches in his life.