Vatican & SSPX: New Revelations
(10-21-2010, 07:56 PM)Justin Wrote: So for all the people who said the Society 's confessions are invalid , put that in your pipe and smoke it!!   ;)

I think Bishop Fellay is making an unwarranted assumption by drawing that conclusion.  Just because the Holy See gave its OK to those special cases does not necessarily mean SSPX priests can validly hear all confessions.  This is something that will have to be explicitly addressed at some point.
(10-21-2010, 10:19 AM)timoose Wrote: After re-reading this, I realize that Fr. Malachi Martin had hit the nail on it's head. Divide and conquer, what a brood of vipers.
tim

The more information which comes out regarding what has happened since VII, the more Fr. Malachi's words are validated.

Excellent, excellent article.
(10-21-2010, 10:31 PM)cgraye Wrote:
(10-21-2010, 07:56 PM)Justin Wrote: So for all the people who said the Society 's confessions are invalid , put that in your pipe and smoke it!!   ;)

I think Bishop Fellay is making an unwarranted assumption by drawing that conclusion.  Just because the Holy See gave its OK to those special cases does not necessarily mean SSPX priests can validly hear all confessions.  This is something that will have to be explicitly addressed at some point.
I knew this was coming. There is without a doubt common error [ canon 144 ]  in Society chapels. I see it every Sunday.

Pope Benedict XVI has also said that the Bishopsand Priests of the SSPX have no official ministry in the Catholic Church.  The Pope has not changed that status for them as of yet.
I think that even given these revelations, there is still some doubt about the validity of Confessions and Marriages of the Society.  They may be valid (via supplied jurisdiction, common error, etc), they may be invalid due to lack of jurisdiction, or there may even be the possibility that some are valid and some are not depending on the level of knowledge of each individual priest and layperson involved.

Now if the Pope were to issue a proclamation stating that all Society Confessions and Marriages were valid and that he would personally supply worldwide jurisdiction while the final regularization is underway, that would settle things.  Of course, if that were to happen, that would be a de-facto regularization and we wouldn't need to have these conversations at all.
Extremely interesting, especially since I was just discussing the issue of SSPX marriages/confessions yesterday.

I'd be interested in seeing source material for this particular point, since if the following is true then all my questions about confession would seem to be answered:

"Bishop Fellay demonstrated the application of this “principle of action” in the case of the Society through several examples, most of which have never been previously publicized.  First, he mentioned the issue of SSPX confessions.  As most Catholics know, there are certain grave sins, the remittance of which is reserved to the Holy See alone.  Under Church law if a priest hears the confession of a person who has committed one of these reserved sins, he is obligated to report the matter to the Holy See within thirty days to receive permission to absolve as well as guidance for the imposition of an appropriate penance.  His Excellency indicated that from time to time Society priests have heard such confessions, and that, in every case, the required notification was sent to the Holy See.  In each of these cases, the response received from the Vatican was that “all was good and licit” and that the permission for the SSPX priest to absolve was granted."

Would also love to see a source on this quote, since it speaks volumes about the whole situation:

'Bishop Fellay explained that he had asked the Cardinal why this was being requested since, according to a recent document of the Secretary of State, the SSPX does not “even exist legally.” The Cardinal replied that “the Pope does not believe that.”'

Love this article!  Please help with sources and such if you can.
The source is Bishop Fellay himself speaking at the recent Angelus Press Conference, and Brian McCall reporting what he heard from him there.
(10-22-2010, 06:11 AM)lumine Wrote:

Pope Benedict XVI has also said that the Bishopsand Priests of the SSPX have no official ministry in the Catholic Church.  The Pope has not changed that status for them as of yet.
As the article states, the Pope does not believe that.
(10-21-2010, 10:31 PM)cgraye Wrote:

No, the deduction is warranted. What was at question is the licity of the act of the priest, which is unaffected by the seriousness of the case. A priest acting well is acting well, whether it's to forgive the desecration of the Blessed Sacrament, or the white lie of an eight year old, he either is or is not acting licitly. The correct deduction from these letters is that Society priests meet the conditions, period.