How do you choose health insurance?
The university I attend provides health insurance for me, but I still have to buy a health insurance plan for my wife on my own.
However, searching on the internet does not seem to be the best way of finding one...a zillion of providers, prices, coverage etc. Some of the stuff being advertised doesn't seem trustful as well.

How do you choose health insurance? Any information you can give is very welcome. Anything, really.
(10-24-2010, 04:35 PM)kirk.andrew Wrote: How do you choose health insurance? Any information you can give is very welcome. Anything, really.

It is designed to be confusing I think.

Scot Adams Wrote:Confusopoly:  a group of companies with similar products who intentionally confuse customers instead of competing on price.

To overcome, I would first determine my needs. I would spend a lot of time doing this, so I am not sucked into buying something at the suggestion of the seller. After determining my needs, I would find the lowest cost provider of them. I would first look at the ones suggested by family and friends if possible. After finding suitable choices, I would research them to find out any pitfalls. After that, I hope I would have enough to make a good decision.
(10-24-2010, 05:03 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(10-24-2010, 04:35 PM)kirk.andrew Wrote: How do you choose health insurance? Any information you can give is very welcome. Anything, really.

It is designed to be confusing I think.

Scot Adams Wrote:Confusopoly:  a group of companies with similar products who intentionally confuse customers instead of competing on price.

To overcome, I would first determine my needs. I would spend a lot of time doing this, so I am not sucked into buying something at the suggestion of the seller. After determining my needs, I would find the lowest cost provider of them. I would first look at the ones suggested by family and friends if possible. After finding suitable choices, I would research them to find out any pitfalls. After that, I hope I would have enough to make a good decision.

Yeah, family and friends would be of great help this time. However, I have no family in the US (I'm foreigner) and the only people I know are my classmates (no married folk, who have the university plan).

(10-24-2010, 05:11 PM)kirk.andrew Wrote: Yeah, family and friends would be of great help this time. However, I have no family in the US (I'm foreigner) and the only people I know are my classmates (no married folk, who have the university plan).

Don't worry, few natives can make an informed choice either. I have no idea how to choose either...I get mine from my job. I had it before from my mother (minor). In between being an adult and getting my job, I didn't think I had it at all, but I think  there may have been some sort of government thingy.

I guess the best bet is finding the best known supplier in one's area and going from there. What state you are in may provide useful data in advice.
(10-24-2010, 05:48 PM)Herr_Mannelig Wrote:
(10-24-2010, 05:11 PM)kirk.andrew Wrote: Yeah, family and friends would be of great help this time. However, I have no family in the US (I'm foreigner) and the only people I know are my classmates (no married folk, who have the university plan).

Don't worry, few natives can make an informed choice either. I have no idea how to choose either...I get mine from my job. I had it before from my mother (minor). In between being an adult and getting my job, I didn't think I had it at all, but I think  there may have been some sort of government thingy.

I guess the best bet is finding the best known supplier in one's area and going from there. What state you are in may provide useful data in advice.

I live in NJ.
Do you know where to find info about the best-known suppliers?
I'd do it the old fashioned way. Get a few local brokers to come to the house and tell them to what you need, and they'll tell you what you can get for what you can pay, then choose. Face to face conversation helps to minimize the anxiety as you can read their body language, and pick up on the non verbal communication like they are about to screw you.
tim
Make sure you talk to independent brokers/agents, not people who work for the company whose insurance products they are selling (that helps eliminate bias right off the bat).  Also try to find someone who belongs to long/national insurance-related organization, those people will be less likely to have major ethical issues (if they have them they're more likely to be caught).

You can use google to find brokers/agents in your area.  You should also try doing some research online to see what sort of insurance product would be best for you, there are lots of different options with regards to health insurance.  What is it you're looking for?

You should also look at the number of complaints per 1000 insured, these numbers and complaints are available from your state Attorney General's website.
(10-24-2010, 05:48 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

This, pretty much, was the case with me, too.  I had it through my father's job until I left college.  At that point, we paid a very cheap rate for the extention of coverage between my dropping out and the wedding, after which I was on Deusdark's plan.  There was a small extra premium for dental/vision coverage to be added, and we went with that as well.  It ended up paying off because I broke a tooth right after I left school.  Half my tooth is fake now, and it was virtually free.
(10-27-2010, 04:30 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: There was a small extra premium for dental/vision coverage to be added, and we went with that as well.

Do you mind my asking what provider? I have a single-payer plan through Blue Cross that's $75 per month, but no dental or vision. Their dental premiums were more than a cleaning would be out-of-pocket. I've been lucky so far but accidents do happen.