Am I a good example or am I an idiot?
Thank you for all your encouragement. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but here's what has occurred to me since then.

This is weird.

The one lady who really instigated this whole thing (even though almost all the rest piled on) showed me her hands at one point over the weekend and told me that she had this horrible, painful, blistering rash on her palms and fingers that was making life miserable for her. She was losing the ability to use her hands for a lot of things and she has had this for 2 years. I knew that she had a rash before, but never how bad it was. Well, I don't know what came over me, but I took one look at them and said, You have coeliac disease.

WTH?

I've never known anything about coeliac disease in my life. I don't know anyone who has it. I don't know what it's symptoms are. But I knew that's what it was. Somehow. We've looked into it since then and lo and behold, what she has is totally consistent with this disease. She's going to her dermatologist next week to check this out for sure. She said this is the first ray of hope she's had about this terrible condition in years. Her doctors haven't been able to help her for any more than minor relief. Please pray that she does finally get relief from this horrible problem.

Weird.
:o

Keep these miracles up and you might bring them back to the Faith!  :laughing:
(10-25-2010, 05:47 PM)ResiduumRevertetur Wrote: Thank you for all your encouragement. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but here's what has occurred to me since then.

This is weird.

The one lady who really instigated this whole thing (even though almost all the rest piled on) showed me her hands at one point over the weekend and told me that she had this horrible, painful, blistering rash on her palms and fingers that was making life miserable for her. She was losing the ability to use her hands for a lot of things and she has had this for 2 years. I knew that she had a rash before, but never how bad it was. Well, I don't know what came over me, but I took one look at them and said, You have coeliac disease.

WTH?

I've never known anything about coeliac disease in my life. I don't know anyone who has it. I don't know what it's symptoms are. But I knew that's what it was. Somehow. We've looked into it since then and lo and behold, what she has is totally consistent with this disease. She's going to her dermatologist next week to check this out for sure. She said this is the first ray of hope she's had about this terrible condition in years. Her doctors haven't been able to help her for any more than minor relief. Please pray that she does finally get relief from this horrible problem.

Weird.

Wow!  :o It sounds like the Lord wanted to speak through you so this woman could get some help. Amazing story.
(10-25-2010, 06:17 PM)paragon Wrote: :o

Keep these miracles up and you might bring them back to the Faith!   :laughing:

Yes, really.

I recommend practicing bi-location.  It is really, really, really hard at first.

Seriously... this is a tough question indeed.  I have wrestled with the same over (mostly) friends and some family.  I think the answer to the question is whether or not you can enjoy time with them at all and if they listen to you at all.  If they (or some) do ponder seriously anything at all you say, it can do some good.  Plant that seed.  There is so much true ignorance out there because the enemy has been so successful in attacking the faith. 

However, I have to say that it doesn't sound that way to me based on what you posted.  It may be time to shake the dust from your feet, but only you can decide that.  Sometimes even trads have to listen to the Spirit. :)

I bought a "pray for the Pope" mug for work because I was tired of the jabs of a few agnostics.  Now I happily drink my coffee with the Pope all over it, and tell people "we're going to talk about that?  I'd better fill up my Pope mug first or there's no hope of success".

Your friends sound bitter, so maybe there's no converting them back, but you could always say something like "you've been away from Mass for so long, you probably don't have it right or you don't know what the situation is, why not come with me to Mass on Sunday and we'll talk about your issues with the Catholic Church on Monday"

I wish you luck.  At the very least you could add their active conversion to your daily rosary prayers.

Calicatholic