Identifying A Modernist Parish
If it's not a TLM parish....I had to get that out of my system....now back to our regularly scheduled programing
(10-26-2010, 05:13 AM)Scipio_a Wrote: If it's not a TLM parish....I had to get that out of my system....now back to our regularly scheduled programing

And before V2, when it was all TLM's, what would've been the modernist signs back then?
Table instead of an altar
Felt banners
No Crucifix
A cross without our Crucified Savior on it
No Stations of the Cross along the walls

(10-26-2010, 07:56 AM)Stubborn Wrote: No Stations of the Cross along the walls

In my RCIA I was told that Catholic churches have to have the stations of the cross. Or do you mean they'd be somewhere else than the walls?
(10-25-2010, 09:48 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: Is the obverse true, that a parish with scheduled confessional times tends to be non-modernist?

It's a theory I'm working on.  At this point I do believe a parish's commitment to Confession is a reflection on their orthodoxy.  If the pastor makes Confession a priority then it should follow that Church teaching is adhered to.  If the pastor's priority is social justice, community involvement and/or multiple laity 'ministries' then subjective interpretation and relativism are probably adhered to.  It's a clear choice: 1,960 years of getting people to Heaven or 50 years of being relative to the modern world.
(10-26-2010, 08:12 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: In my RCIA I was told that Catholic churches have to have the stations of the cross. Or do you mean they'd be somewhere else than the walls?

There is no actual requirement for this that I know of. That being said, I can't remember ever going to a Latin Rite church that didn't have a set of these.
(10-26-2010, 08:12 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote:
(10-26-2010, 07:56 AM)Stubborn Wrote: No Stations of the Cross along the walls

In my RCIA I was told that Catholic churches have to have the stations of the cross. Or do you mean they'd be somewhere else than the walls?

No Stations of the Cross anywhere.
Here's a case in point.  Remember last week when Archbishop Nienstedt said there are to be no 'luke warm Catholics' after he caught some flak for mailing nearly a million anti-gay marriage dvds?  One of his priests publically questioned him, Rev Tegeder, the pastor of St. Edward in Bloominton, MN.  Check out the website of St. Edward (Confession is scheduled Saturdays at 4).

http://www.stedwardschurch.org/index1.asp?catid=1&scatid=home

""I believe that it's important that if you're going to be Catholic, that you have to be 100% Catholic," Nienstedt said. "That you stand by the church, you believe what the church believes and you pass that on to your sons and daughters and your grandsons and granddaughters."

The Rev. Mike Tegeder, lead pastor at St. Edward Catholic Church in Bloomington and a frequent critic of the archbishop, said he was puzzled by the term "100 percent Catholic."

"The church has always gotten into trouble when it seeks to separate the pure from the impure," said Tegeder, whose suburban congregation emerged unscathed from the reorganization plans. "Jesus cautions us to be careful in weeding and judging."

Tegeder and some other priests have argued the Catholic Church could quickly resolve its problem with declining numbers of priests if it allowed married clergy. But "I personally don't see that happening," Nienstedt said."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/20...sp=usat.me

Not that I'm deliberately picking on St. Edward, but here is the parish in Tennesse that bears his name as well.  You might remember the pastor from the video that went viral due to his welcoming of gay marriage, divorce, married clergy, etc.  Confession is Saturday at 4:30.  I watched a couple of their Masses as they provide a webcast.  Rev Breen doesn't "say the black, do the red" (improvises) including someone other than the priest or deacon giving the sermon, etc.  It has to be seen to be believed.

http://www.stedward.org/default.aspx?url_category_id=47&v_Menu_LeftDir=Asc&site=3

(10-25-2010, 09:48 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: Is the obverse true, that a parish with scheduled confessional times tends to be non-modernist?

I know of trad priests who really prefer to have confessions scheduled during the week, in addition to having confession available before Mass -- I just wanted to keep in mind that for a few things (very few) there's a practical reason, so we probably shouldn't be judgmental...

To the larger issue, we probably don't even need a list.  Maybe it's enough to say that there's a different ethos that permeates everything at V2 parishes from the "art", the architecture, the behavior of parishioners, the "sermons" of the priest... we could go on an on...

Also, i don't want to be too condemnatory of the actual parishioners who have been completely abandoned by the Church in attending to their spiritual needs and formation.  For instance, I've met NO parishioners who don't know the rosary or what it actually is, don't know basic Bible stories, don't understand the purpose of the sacraments, etc.  Pointing out to them the shortcomings of the NO, is completely beyond them, even though they mostly would like to have a deepened spiritual life which they know they don't get from the NO.
- Plastic altars / altars of some neon, unnatural colour / altars without cloths
- Plus signs for crosses
- At least two guitars in the choir and perhaps a set of drums (unfortunately, the drums are present at my parish, but the organ is played, and beautifully, at the Masses I attend. The drums, I believe, are for the Saturday evening Mass.)
- New Age style priestly vestments
- Liturgical dance
- Homilies which steer clear of hell, judgment, and the need for conversion
- Unsuitable containers for the Body and Blood of our Lord: tupperware, glass (-shudders-), a punch bowl (I've seen this on YouTube...disgusting), a tabernacle made out of a wine glass (see previous comment)