My Archbishop
I have great respect for my archbishop, Tim Dolan. I think he has done a good job for the archdiocese of new York so far, especially after cardinal Egan.
Mine is Archbishop Wuerl now just made cardinal. He allows several TLMs. I believe he is personally orthodox but does not want to impose his views on anyone else.  His rod and his staff do not comfort me.

???

C.
Mine is Bishop George Thomas of the diocese of Helena Montana he is a moral reletavist, a religious syncretist,liturgically by the book for a NO but hates the TLM and does everything to obstruct it. He spends most of his time in Guatamala dressed as a layman playing with the natives. During his confirmation sermons he makes fun of the way Nuns used to teach and has said how out of touch the Baltimore Catechism was even back in the 50's. Also Montana tried to ban abortions in 2007 and he came out as one of the voices against the bill. In short he sucks.
Archbishop Hart in Melbourne isn't terrible.  He has said the TLM  a couple of times, allows, with his blessing our EF Community, and has recently appointed us a patron (Blessed John Henry Newman) and made our priest rector of our church, so we are no longer just visitors in a parish church.

He seems pretty happy to send one of his auxiliaries (Bishop Elliot) to do Confirmations in the EF, and he also sent him to confer minor orders recently, and wrote the foward to the Ordinary of the Mass available at our Church.

He seems morally conservative and doesn't seen concerned about speaking out against abortion, euthanasia etc.

On top of that, I found out that the TLM has been available in the Archdiocese of Melbourne ever since the NO was brought in, so all in all, even if he isn't a Trad, I guess we don't have too much to complain about, all things considered.

Blessings,
:pray:
Steve
My city's old archbishop of San Antonio, Jose Gomez, was alright. He's considered a conservative bishop. Very strong on pro-life issues, but not so much on liturgical matters. When he came to administer Confirmation at my parish, he would offer the Novus Ordo Mass in Latin, ad Orientem, etc., etc. But he wasn't very supportive of the Tridentine books, now that I think about it. One diocesan parish was set up for the 1962 Mass and that's it.

I've sung Gregorian chant at three or four Masses celebrated by Gomez. He supports chant but he didn't like to sing any part of the Mass himself. I know for most people, that's not a big deal, but I think singing ought to be a mandatory skill taught to all clerics. Considering how important singing was for churchmen in the big picture of Christian history, it's hard for me to believe that any bishop doesn't lead by example on this front.

As for the new archbishop of San Antonio, Garcia-Siller, I don't know anything about him other than that he was born in Mexico, and that fact is apparently a big deal for a lot of people around here. He hasn't come to town yet. I'm hoping that my petition to have our schola sing at his enthronement will be accepted. We'll then ask him for permission to establish a parish for the Fraternity of Saint Peter.
(10-26-2010, 06:44 AM)Stevo Wrote: Archbishop Hart in Melbourne isn't terrible.  He has said the TLM  a couple of times, allows, with his blessing our EF Community, and has recently appointed us a patron (Blessed John Henry Newman) and made our priest rector of our church, so we are no longer just visitors in a parish church.

He seems pretty happy to send one of his auxiliaries (Bishop Elliot) to do Confirmations in the EF, and he also sent him to confer minor orders recently, and wrote the foward to the Ordinary of the Mass available at our Church.

He seems morally conservative and doesn't seen concerned about speaking out against abortion, euthanasia etc.

On top of that, I found out that the TLM has been available in the Archdiocese of Melbourne ever since the NO was brought in, so all in all, even if he isn't a Trad, I guess we don't have too much to complain about, all things considered.

Blessings,
:pray:
Steve

Wooo Arch. Hart!

That forward in the Mass books at St. Aloysius really annoys me though. There's no need to mention how much the Mass of Paul VI has enriched his spiritual life in a forward for a book about the Old Mass to be used by Catholics attached to the previous liturgy, many of whom probably have an aversion to the Pauline Mass.

The ordination Mass he celebrated this year was awesome. I almost felt like crying when he started anointing the hands of the ordinands and reciting prayers while the choir sung Ubi Caritas. It was really moving.

I've only met him once, he went to shake my hand and looked pretty taken back when I genuflected and kissed his ring (I guess a combination of that being a rare practice these days and me being a teenager at the time). He smiled though.

(10-26-2010, 01:46 AM)HammerOfHeretics Wrote: I have great respect for my archbishop, Tim Dolan. I think he has done a good job for the archdiocese of new York so far, especially after cardinal Egan.

I find Archbishop Dolan to be a bit liberal when he celebrates Mass. I've listened to him on XM radio and he seems to treat Mass as a big social; he introduces all visiting clergy at length and you can hear him greeting people during the Processional and Recessional. Oh, and remember that CNN piece that showed him cheering for the LGBT group at that parish?

I will give Archbishop Dolan some credit; I have enjoyed some of the homilies I've heard when I turn on the Catholic Channel (although that's not often). 
My current bishop is David Rickon. Liturgically he's not traditional but he's quite conservative and applies strict rules to how mass is celebrated in his cathedral. He's also very friendly to the ICRSS in the diocese and often has had to protect the traditionalist community from liberals in the diocese. When our parish was under construction all the liberal priests refused to let us borrow their parishes. So His Excellency just let us use his cathedral.

Also, every day, typically after he celebrates mass, His Excellency will stop by the chapel near his house, (the building the ICRSS use for mass) and spend some time to thank Christ in the Sacrament personally.
I'm in Archbishop Charles Chaput's diocese and I'm pretty impressed with him.  When Fontevrault e-mailed him about the FSSP shutting down the TLM in our area, he responded twice to her.  I believe (though I'm not sure) that he was checking and responding to his own e-mail, which is a point in his favor.  Additionally, I'm slowly working through his book Give Unto Caesar, which is pretty good.  Plus, I think he's a Capuchin...  :)

Modified to correct HTML coding...
Archbishop John Neinstedt in St. Paul/Minneapolis is pretty solid.  He's done a lot to rile liberals since he was appointed in 2007, and recently made news by sending out a anti-gay-marriage DVD to every family in the Archdiocese as well as denying Communion to rainbow sash folks up at St. John's.

I'm not quite sure where he stands on the TLM.  He has very friendly relationships with the more conservative and traditional priests in our Archdiocese, so that's a good sign.  I've only been at a Mass celebrated by him twice and both times it was your basic NO by the books, say the black, do the red.