My Archbishop
(10-26-2010, 10:06 AM)damooster Wrote:
(10-26-2010, 01:46 AM)HammerOfHeretics Wrote: I have great respect for my archbishop, Tim Dolan. I think he has done a good job for the archdiocese of new York so far, especially after cardinal Egan.

I find Archbishop Dolan to be a bit liberal when he celebrates Mass. I've listened to him on XM radio and he seems to treat Mass as a big social; he introduces all visiting clergy at length and you can hear him greeting people during the Processional and Recessional. Oh, and remember that CNN piece that showed him cheering for the LGBT group at that parish?

I will give Archbishop Dolan some credit; I have enjoyed some of the homilies I've heard when I turn on the Catholic Channel (although that's not often). 

Dolan is an improvement over Egan, but I agree with your assessment here. He has taken on the NY Times for their incessant anti-Catholicism, cultivated a better relationship with his priests, seems to be a "Hail fellow, well met" type of guy who genuinely has enthusiasm in being Archbishop of NY. I do know he seemed to be friendlier to the TLM when he was in Milwaukee than Egan ever was either in NY or Bridgeport. My hope is that he'll let a Latin Mass Fraternity set up shop in the Archdiocese, which his predecessor would never do.

In addition to what you mentioned, some of the things I hold against him are:

1) When he said Mass in Milwaukee that time wearing that Green Bay Packer cheesehead. Granted, it didn't happen in NY, but still.
2) Refusing to enforce Canon 915 and allow pro abortion politicians to receive Holy Communion.

Other than that, I have no complaints about him. 
We are getting a new Archbishop. J.Peter Sartain from Joliet. I have heard some good things about him, that he is friendly to the FSSP. But other than that, not much. Anyone have more "scoop" on Him?
Bishop Soto here in Sacramento is very pro-life and against same sex marriage but is relatively quiet and keeps out of the spotlight, he's very supportive of the FSSP here but has people around him who are not.
(10-26-2010, 11:31 AM)CrusaderKing Wrote:
(10-26-2010, 01:46 AM)HammerOfHeretics Wrote: I have great respect for my archbishop, Tim Dolan. I think he has done a good job for the archdiocese of new York so far, especially after cardinal Egan.

I find Archbishop Dolan to be a bit liberal when he celebrates Mass. I've listened to him on XM radio and he seems to treat Mass as a big social; he introduces all visiting clergy at length and you can hear him greeting people during the Processional and Recessional. Oh, and remember that CNN piece that showed him cheering for the LGBT group at that parish?

I will give Archbishop Dolan some credit; I have enjoyed some of the homilies I've heard when I turn on the Catholic Channel (although that's not often). 

I think he has done a great job with the NYPriest program to garner up vocations. I don't know how much he has actually had to do with it but he certainly supports it and I think that is a very good thing.
Dolan is an improvement over Egan, but I agree with your assessment here. He has taken on the NY Times for their incessant anti-Catholicism, cultivated a better relationship with his priests, seems to be a "Hail fellow, well met" type of guy who genuinely has enthusiasm in being Archbishop of NY. I do know he seemed to be friendlier to the TLM when he was in Milwaukee than Egan ever was either in NY or Bridgeport. My hope is that he'll let a Latin Mass Fraternity set up shop in the Archdiocese, which his predecessor would never do.

1) When he said Mass in Milwaukee that time wearing that Green Bay Packer cheesehead. Granted, it didn't happen in NY, but still.
2) Refusing to enforce Canon 915 and allow pro abortion politicians to receive Holy Communion.

Re:  1)  He was giving a homily at his first Mass in the archdiocese, as the new archbishop, and donned the cheesehead for part of the homily.  This was, also, I think at the Milwaukee summer festival "Irish Fest."

He did NOT wear the cheesehead during Mass.

(10-26-2010, 02:33 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:

Re:  1)  He was giving a homily at his first Mass in the archdiocese, as the new archbishop, and donned the cheesehead for part of the homily.  This was, also, I think at the Milwaukee summer festival "Irish Fest."

Isn't the homily part of the Mass?
(10-26-2010, 04:02 PM)damooster Wrote: Isn't the homily part of the Mass?

In the Novus Ordo reckoning, it's debatable. In the 1962-and-before reckoning, no: the homily is actually a pause or interruption in the liturgy. That's why the preacher removes his maniple if he's wearing one. Some ministers will even remove the chasuble (or dalmatic) before preaching.
(10-26-2010, 02:33 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:

Still it begs the question would a Bishop pre VII dance around with a rediculous Cheese head hat? Kinda shits on the dignity of his office.
(10-26-2010, 04:10 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(10-26-2010, 04:02 PM)damooster Wrote: Isn't the homily part of the Mass?

In the Novus Ordo reckoning, it's debatable. In the 1962-and-before reckoning, no: the homily is actually a pause or interruption in the liturgy. That's why the preacher removes his maniple if he's wearing one. Some ministers will even remove the chasuble (or dalmatic) before preaching.

Thanks! I didn't know that.
I think that Archbishop Dolan has done a good job at trying to boost vocations to the priesthood. Check it out: http://www.nypriest.com/