Poll: Would you support a new Inquisition?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

A New Inquisition?
(10-26-2010, 04:28 PM)Unum Sint Wrote:
(10-26-2010, 04:13 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Yes, if it limits itself to clergy. They're the ones responsible for pretty much any serious Catholic being in error.

I agree. Though lets remember that burning at the stake was a "civil" procedure of Justice not ecclesiastical.

I've read, though I don't know if it's true, that people would spout heresy to get arrested by the Inquisition, since the inquisitors were much easier on heretics than the civil authorities were on criminals.
(10-26-2010, 04:16 PM)paragon Wrote: Oh come now, what about the medIa and politicians?

Who wouldn't want to see Obama and David Cameron on a spit??

Historically, the Inquisitions only had jurisdiction over baptised Catholics. Obama wouldn't have to worry about it, though Joe Biden might. David Cameron's Anglican, I believe.
Does it cover Satanists/Masons posing as Catholics, or would Joe and Tony Blair be safe ??  :laughing:
Only if it is one that identifies the corrupt, un-orthodox clergy and members of the Church and as long as it leads to excommunications not deaths.
(10-26-2010, 05:50 PM)HammerOfHeretics Wrote: as long as it leads to excommunications not deaths.

Why thats what the Holy Inquisition did was cleanse and purify men by fire.Hell Who wouldnt love to See Mahony burning at the stake?
Christian heretics (i.e. Protestants) are typically baptised; being as baptism is a Catholic sacrament, one is technically "Catholic" until they otherwise embrace heresy. Hence, Protestants may technically be under the jurisdiction of the Holy Inquisition.
Do you losers think you're funny? Some of you just got done wailing about abortion, and even contraception being murder, and now you're advocating burning people for not believing what you approve of? Who do you think you are anyway? To hell with Rome, and to hell with you.
We can still be friends.  [Image: smile.gif]
Realistically, the only Inquisition that can exist today is the normal diocesan tribunal under the power of the bishop. In fact, squashing heresy is one of the duties of any bishop when it becomes prevalent in his diocese. The sucessor of the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Roman and Universal Inquisition is the Holy Office, (now CDF), a curial organ whose purpose is to defend the faith. So, formally the Inquisition still exists, although there's no secular power to assist it in enforcing its rulings and penalties.

If there were still Catholic confessional states today, a national inquisitorial office for religious matters could perfectly exist, although the procedures concerning the obtainment of evidence (torture) would have to be revised, in my opinion.

As for burnings at the stake, I personally dislike them. I think it's too violent a procedure, although I wouldn't rule out capital punishment for notorious heretics.

(10-26-2010, 07:18 PM)Dominion Wrote: Do you losers think you're funny? Some of you just got done wailing about abortion, and even contraception being murder, and now you're advocating burning people for not believing what you approve of? Who do you think you are anyway? To hell with Rome, and to hell with you.

Your condescending "wailing" comment seems to hint that you take abortion much lighter than traditional Catholics, or any true Catholic, for that matter.  Please recant for the sake of the poor souls who may happen upon this traditional Catholic forum and get the impression that traditional Catholics think abortion is ok or at least a matter of little concern.

Also, I infer your "to hell with Rome" comment is directed more at the Roman Catholic Church generally than specific concerns with leadership and the hierarchy in Rome.  Am I correct?