question
if there were no further philosophical breakthroughs after, say, plato's death, would we be the worse for wear? is it the same ideas being recycled over and over, or are there real breakthroughs in collective human consciousness that occur overt time? nothing new under the sun ., . .
this is really deep question, isnt it? i proud of myself.
(10-30-2010, 02:58 AM)icecream Wrote: this is really deep question, isnt it? i proud of myself.

I proud of you too.

At the very least, non-Christian philosophies can tend to create more misery than good
(10-30-2010, 02:06 AM)icecream Wrote: if there were no further philosophical breakthroughs after, say, plato's death, would we be the worse for wear? is it the same ideas being recycled over and over, or are there real breakthroughs in collective human consciousness that occur overt time? nothing new under the sun ., . .

I understand what you mean. There are several factors to consider. Actually, two.

* The state of mankind (human reason)
* Revelation

Without revelation, human reason is limited in knowing many things. Now, the thoughts of philosophers we know are written down or communicated to us somehow. Every person's philosophical convictions are not. This is important. The philosophy of a society may need real breakthroughs, but I do not think on an individual level there is. Humans are not collective. We are individuals. This is why after each generation it is essentially a new beginning. Each generation defines itself. This is why the same mistakes are made constantly in history and why the only achievement of mankind to be transmitted in near its full manifestation is technology which is useful.

The Star Trek universe, where people have "collectively" overcome is nothing more than a choice of a generation. The next generation (he-he) could change that. Indeed, the Star Trek universe shows no new philosophy at all, and there is a lot of human dissension. It is merely a plot tool to explain the unity of mankind (so unified alien species can be introduced).

So, individually, nothing would be lost really, but for social influence, there would be. If the values of society pre-revelation were locked into a certain time period, there would be room for improvement lost. Remember, Plato was not the typical Greek at that time :) That is why he is remembered.
thanks for reponses!

intersting point about technology being the only thing that fully passed on across generations.

why do catholics have any interest in non-christian philosophers? if everything you need is in bonaventure or aquinas? why not just ignore the pagans entirely?
(10-31-2010, 01:19 PM)icecream Wrote: intersting point about technology being the only thing that fully passed on across generations.
Not fully, just most fully. Technology  has been developed and then lost for a long time due to human influence.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18501_7-i...feuds.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_18533_the...ot_p2.html

The second article mis-represents Medieval knowledge (like about the shape of the earth), but the point is the same.

Quote:why do catholics have any interest in non-christian philosophers? if everything you need is in bonaventure or aquinas? why not just ignore the pagans entirely?
Aquinas drew almost his entire use of logic from Aristotle :) That was the point: human reason is available to all, so scientific systems (theology is a science) using reason are not restricted to a single group.

Philosophy is a broader subject than most realise. It is not theology or religion. So, one does not need the philosophers. One just needs the revelations necessary to follow God. This does not require study, only faith and the grace of God.

Those who wish to study however study what they can to increase knowledge and overcome. One may study to refute a proposition. One may study to learn the methods use. One may study to learn the history. For philosophy, only the logical systems are really studied for true knowledge. St. Thomas applied the logic of Aristotle to revelation and purified the system to reflect truth.
thanks rosarium!

btw, those cracked articles ae great!