is psychology heretical?
(11-02-2010, 06:06 AM)icecream Wrote: can a sociopath go to heaven? if the sociopath isnt guilty of not having a conscience?

Yes, a sociopath can.

I think you are mistaking what "conscience" means. They do not have the same feelings as most people.

These feelings as the ones which make people not do things because of other people. They still have the feelings though, but the reason why most people don't act on them is not because of a moral choice, but because of mere social restriction. That is why willing anger or lust is a sin even if one does not act on it.

A sociopath just doesn't have that switch in the brain which makes allows society to control them beyond physically. The reason why a sociopath commits a violent crime is usually explained by "I felt like it" as if it makes sense. It does make sense...this is why most people DON'T commit the same crime.

So, as followers of God, we are called to say "I choose to forgive you", instead of merely not hurting the other person.
(11-02-2010, 09:21 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 06:04 AM)icecream Wrote: should a catholic only trust a catholic psychiatrist? should you tell deep secrets to psychiatrist? what if you decide to run for political office and your former psychiatirts doesn't like your politics. cant he/she just leak your secrets to the press?

on a related note, if you go to a psychiatrists is there a time limit where they have to destory your records or are your secrets filed away somewhere forever?

As I understand it, doctor-patient confidentiality is treated the same as priest-penitent confidentiality in the eyes of (at least American) law.  A psychiatrist who broke that would at the very least lose his or her license to practice.

No, it isn't quite the same. In the USA, there is no such federal law, and there are a variety of state laws, which limit the scope. For instance, in most of the criminal statutes of the USA, a doctor can report patients for certain things and in fact may be required to.

In the USA, it is also a state issue, but the scope is more broad and it sometimes is specifically for religions with clergy which hear confessions (mostly Catholic, but not just). The reason for this is because it is a religious issue:

* The priest will follow what they have professed most often, so they will defy the law
* In areas hostile to Catholics, this law could be used against them unfairly, effectively establishing a state religion
* It is rarely an issue any way (it is rare for a person to confess something which would need to be reported otherwise)
(11-02-2010, 09:28 AM)Rosarium Wrote: No, it isn't quite the same. In the USA, there is no such federal law, and there are a variety of state laws, which limit the scope. For instance, in most of the criminal statutes of the USA, a doctor can report patients for certain things and in fact may be required to.

In the USA, it is also a state issue, but the scope is more broad and it sometimes is specifically for religions with clergy which hear confessions (mostly Catholic, but not just). The reason for this is because it is a religious issue:

* The priest will follow what they have professed most often, so they will defy the law
* In areas hostile to Catholics, this law could be used against them unfairly, effectively establishing a state religion
* It is rarely an issue any way (it is rare for a person to confess something which would need to be reported otherwise)

Well that's what I get for trusting reruns of Law & Order...  :P

Thanks, Rosarium, for setting me straight!
Sociopaths seem to simply have a very high level of selfishness.  Basically, they elevate their desires and feelings above all others because they don't recognize other people's desires and feelings as relevant.  There's a common mentality in secularism today that states "this is who I am".  People will use it to justify drug use, polyamorism, homosexuality etc.  It produces more and more sociopathic behavior.

I don't believe the psychological model correctly identifies sociopathic behavior.  Overall, while there are some grains of truth in psychology, it is cold and clinical and offers few real solutions to mental disease.
thanks for thoughts and info!

(11-02-2010, 10:26 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote: Sociopaths seem to simply have a very high level of selfishness.  Basically, they elevate their desires and feelings above all others because they don't recognize other people's desires and feelings as relevant.  There's a common mentality in secularism today that states "this is who I am".  People will use it to justify drug use, polyamorism, homosexuality etc.  It produces more and more sociopathic behavior.

I don't believe the psychological model correctly identifies sociopathic behavior.  Overall, while there are some grains of truth in psychology, it is cold and clinical and offers few real solutions to mental disease.

who are best anti-psychology writers?
(11-02-2010, 10:26 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote: Sociopaths seem to simply have a very high level of selfishness.  Basically, they elevate their desires and feelings above all others because they don't recognize other people's desires and feelings as relevant.  There's a common mentality in secularism today that states "this is who I am".  People will use it to justify drug use, polyamorism, homosexuality etc.  It produces more and more sociopathic behavior.

So, do you believe that our society is breeding sociopaths?
(11-02-2010, 11:12 AM)Pilgrim Wrote: So, do you believe that our society is breeding sociopaths?

Absolutely.

(11-02-2010, 11:06 AM)icecream Wrote: who are best anti-psychology writers?

I have no idea, I never read any anti-psychology literature.  I've read plenty of anti-psychology rhetoric on pointless internet argument forums though.  ;D
(11-02-2010, 11:57 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote: I have no idea, I never read any anti-psychology literature.  I've read plenty of anti-psychology rhetoric on pointless internet argument forums though.  ;D

how you learn that psychology is bad? figure out yourself?
(11-02-2010, 01:14 PM)icecream Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 11:57 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote: I have no idea, I never read any anti-psychology literature.  I've read plenty of anti-psychology rhetoric on pointless internet argument forums though.  ;D

how you learn that psychology is bad? figure out yourself?

Read a lot of L. Ron Hubbard?  :laughing:
[Image: lronhubbard2.jpg]