is psychology heretical?
(11-02-2010, 01:14 PM)icecream Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 11:57 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote: I have no idea, I never read any anti-psychology literature.  I've read plenty of anti-psychology rhetoric on pointless internet argument forums though.  ;D

how you learn that psychology is bad? figure out yourself?
Well, I took several classes in psychology, and I worked at an insurance company in the psych department reviewing case files.  I have an opinion about applied psychology, that it's largely unhelpful, but has some merit.  I don't claim to have any concrete evidence.
(11-02-2010, 01:49 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: Well, I took several classes in psychology, and I worked at an insurance company in the psych department reviewing case files.  I have an opinion about applied psychology, that it's largely unhelpful, but has some merit.  I don't claim to have any concrete evidence.

you got to wonder, how did mankind survive for so long without freud and company. if they're so important
(11-02-2010, 03:22 PM)icecream Wrote: you got to wonder, how did mankind survive for so long without freud and company. if they're so important

They went to confession?
(11-02-2010, 05:07 PM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 03:22 PM)icecream Wrote: you got to wonder, how did mankind survive for so long without freud and company. if they're so important

They went to confession?

exactly! so why the need for pschiatry? if confession worked for so long why do we need this new thing?
(11-02-2010, 05:24 PM)icecream Wrote: exactly! so why the need for pschiatry? if confession worked for so long why do we need this new thing?

Personally, I blame Protestantism's belief in confessing directly to God.  My local priest and I once discussed this issue.  I'm a former Protestant (long story) and I've always had this problem with confession.  Like most people, i have a real problem with talking with another person about the sinful crap I've let myself do, even when I'm not confessing it face to face.  The priest told me that confessing without an intermediary can leave someone feeling even more hollow or even doubting that anyone is listening.  Frankly, I agree with him.  It's hard for me to confess, but I always feel MUCH better after I do so.

Also, you need to remember that Freud and his ilk came out of the nineteenth century, an era steeped in atheism.  What the psychoanalysts did was, essentially, make themselves a secular kind of clergymen and they made a lot of money in doing so.  I think psychology as a field has been trying to get out from under Freud (Freudian slip fully intended) since its inception.  There are just too many jokes about his obsessions still to be made...  ;D

In the end, I think the field of psychology has a lot to offer in terms of how the brain works.  However, when it comes to human behavior, the ancients and medievals had a lot more to offer in way of explanation. 
It is difficult to determine the exact causes, as parents of sociopaths often have similar characteristics. I think there is a mix, there is a genetic (or personal) component which can be influenced to some degree by the environment.

However, people's choices are still important regardless of feelings. They still have free will.
(11-02-2010, 05:34 PM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 05:24 PM)icecream Wrote: exactly! so why the need for pschiatry? if confession worked for so long why do we need this new thing?

Personally, I blame Protestantism's belief in confessing directly to God.  My local priest and I once discussed this issue.  I'm a former Protestant (long story) and I've always had this problem with confession.  Like most people, i have a real problem with talking with another person about the sinful crap I've let myself do, even when I'm not confessing it face to face.  The priest told me that confessing without an intermediary can leave someone feeling even more hollow or even doubting that anyone is listening.  Frankly, I agree with him.  It's hard for me to confess, but I always feel MUCH better after I do so.

Also, you need to remember that Freud and his ilk came out of the nineteenth century, an era steeped in atheism.  What the psychoanalysts did was, essentially, make themselves a secular kind of clergymen and they made a lot of money in doing so.  I think psychology as a field has been trying to get out from under Freud (Freudian slip fully intended) since its inception.  There are just too many jokes about his obsessions still to be made...  ;D

In the end, I think the field of psychology has a lot to offer in terms of how the brain works.  However, when it comes to human behavior, the ancients and medievals had a lot more to offer in way of explanation. 

hmm, never heard that before. so without protestantism no psyhcoanalyis?
(11-03-2010, 10:35 AM)icecream Wrote: hmm, never heard that before. so without protestantism no psyhcoanalyis?

I'm not so sure about that, but I do think that if more people went to confession more regularly, they would be more mentally healthy.
(11-03-2010, 10:47 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(11-03-2010, 10:35 AM)icecream Wrote: hmm, never heard that before. so without protestantism no psyhcoanalyis?

I'm not so sure about that, but I do think that if more people went to confession more regularly, they would be more mentally healthy.

what about the idea that psychoanalyis actually harms people? is it coincidence that it became popular at same time church was being eclipsed?
(11-03-2010, 11:01 AM)icecream Wrote:
(11-03-2010, 10:47 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:

what about the idea that psychoanalyis actually harms people? is it coincidence that it became popular at same time church was being eclipsed?

Well, could you be more explicit about how it might harm people?  I mean, it  might teach them that they're not responsible for their actions, which can lead to a whole host of problems.  Is that what you meant?