pelosi kissing pope benedict's ring
Judas also kissed Our Lord's cheek.
(11-02-2010, 02:54 PM)cgraye Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 11:43 AM)3Sanctus Wrote: Aren't you supposed to genuflect on your left knee while kissing His Holiness' ring (or that of your own ordinary)?

Yes, and any cardinal too, I believe.

And any bishop in fact. Though most bishops I have seen don't wear their ring unless they are vested for liturgy.
I always see them wear it.  What's the reason for genuflecting on the left - not giving them the same respect as Our Lord or something?  I always forget and genuflect on the right.  :(

I know one very humble bishop who seems to go out of his way to stop you genuflecting to him at all.
Pure political theater.  If she respects Church teaching, then I'm the Queen of England.
(11-02-2010, 08:25 PM)paragon Wrote: I always see them wear it.  What's the reason for genuflecting on the left - not giving them the same respect as Our Lord or something?  I always forget and genuflect on the right.  :(

Something like that. It's supposed to represent a differentiation between honour to a human and honour to the divine. It's not a hard-and-fast rule, though. It's not a sin if you don't observe the difference, I don't think.

Quote:I know one very humble bishop who seems to go out of his way to stop you genuflecting to him at all.

Without passing judgment on the bishop in question, there comes to be a certain point when rejecting legitimate customs actually becomes prideful rather than humble. Best thing for a bishop to do, with regard to the genuflections, is probably to just be ambivalent and let his staff worry about maintaining protocols.
(11-02-2010, 09:31 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Without passing judgment on the bishop in question, there comes to be a certain point when rejecting legitimate customs actually becomes prideful rather than humble. Best thing for a bishop to do, with regard to the genuflections, is probably to just be ambivalent and let his staff worry about maintaining protocols.

Agreed.  For a truly humble man it has to be tough to get used to people genuflecting to you and such - especially nowadays, when no one does these things for secular authority anymore.
(11-02-2010, 09:37 PM)3Sanctus Wrote: Agreed.  For a truly humble man it has to be tough to get used to people genuflecting to you and such - especially nowadays, when no one does these things for secular authority anymore.

There's a salient point with the end of your remark. We're so far removed from old-world culture that traditional Catholic practices have become far more alien than they were meant to be.

I mean, the (classic) Roman Rite liturgy is actually supposed to be the most austere of the bunch (compared to, say, the Gallican rites or the Easterns). Ironically, now much of the traditional Roman Mass's appeal is its splendor and magnificence when compared to the Novus Ordo.
(11-02-2010, 08:15 PM)WanderingPenitent Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 02:54 PM)cgraye Wrote:
(11-02-2010, 11:43 AM)3Sanctus Wrote: Aren't you supposed to genuflect on your left knee while kissing His Holiness' ring (or that of your own ordinary)?

Yes, and any cardinal too, I believe.

And any bishop in fact. Though most bishops I have seen don't wear their ring unless they are vested for liturgy.

No, you only kneel when kissing the ring of your own bishop.  If he is not your bishop, you bow at the waist as you kiss his ring.  But you kneel when you kiss the ring of any cardinal (or the pope, of course).
(11-02-2010, 01:24 PM)Petertherock Wrote:

I wish I knew what the words' name was!

I guess she didn't want to say JESUS because she has to be politically correct and also Jesus' holy name would frighten her since she is obviously a she devil
(11-02-2010, 09:31 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
Quote:I know one very humble bishop who seems to go out of his way to stop you genuflecting to him at all.

Without passing judgment on the bishop in question, there comes to be a certain point when rejecting legitimate customs actually becomes prideful rather than humble. Best thing for a bishop to do, with regard to the genuflections, is probably to just be ambivalent and let his staff worry about maintaining protocols.

He's a very holy man and it's not for us to say that he's being prideful.  I probably didn't describe it accurately though, he certainly doesn't stop you genuflecting.  He just gives the impression that he tries to engage you before you have a chance to genuflect.