Has anyone done a study of Paul VI and JPII?
(11-03-2010, 10:03 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The best solution seems to be number 2.

I don't think this is teneble. First, canonizations are dogmatic facts. Here's a good article on why dogmatic facts are defined infallibly. As far as the process being a condition for the infallibility of a judgment, this came up at the First Vatican Council. At that Council many Fathers wanted to condition the infallibility of definitive proclamations of the Pope on him following a particular process (some Fathers proposed processes more rigorous than others) but in the official relatio, Bishop Gasser (the relator) rules this out due to the fact that many definitions were given in the past following different processes (or practically no process at all). He additionally argues that it would be impossible for the faithful or even bishops to investigate and verify whether the process was carried out with sufficient digilgence and precision every time.

The same is true in regards to canonizations--there hasn't been one specific process that has been used--and the processes that have been used in particular cases have also had various levels of integrity, thoroughness, and even availability of information. But that's in fact why the charism of infallibility exists--the truth is greater than the weakness of the people.

It's like how the high priest was given the special charism of prophesy that was dependent on his office, not his own merits or diligence. For example, when Caiphas prophesied that one should die for the many and "he spoke not of himself: but being the high priest of that year, he prophesied" what process was he following? He was in the midst of conspiring to commit Deicide--that's about as bad a process as you can get and yet the charism was not lost (see John 11:49-51) (as an aside, I didn't come up with this last comparison myself, it's what St. Peter Damian used himself to defend the permanence of papal and episcopal charisms despite the sins or laxity of the office-holder).

Beatifications on the other hand are merely indults and do not have a definitive character.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Has anyone done a study of Paul VI and JPII? - by SaintSebastian - 11-05-2010, 04:48 PM