More "orthodox" drivel
Most of these issues can be solved if people simply try to understand each other, since most of the issues that cause problems are really not problems at all - it's mostly a matter of semantics.
(11-04-2010, 08:30 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Calling the Filioque a heresy is one example of why there will never be a Catholic/Orthodox reunion... not by the work of human hands, at any rate.

Based on historical patterns, if you have a schism that lasts for more than two generations, you can pretty much forget about it being healed. There are simply too many divergences from that point out.

Plus, once kids are born and raised in schism it becomes culturally ingrained. Certainly the case with Protestants. As a Protestant I just thought "forget reunion" and just converted all by my lonesome.
(11-04-2010, 09:45 AM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: Plus, once kids are born and raised in schism it becomes culturally ingrained. Certainly the case with Protestants. As a Protestant I just thought "forget reunion" and just converted all by my lonesome.

Right. I mean, praise God for the Eastern "Uniate" churches and the Anglican Ordinariate.... but for the average Anglican or Eastern Orthodox on the street, the question of communion with Rome is as irrelevant as the idea of Texas rejoining Mexico.
I gave up in the first five seconds when he pronounced the word Papacy wrong.

If you can't say the word you've no business slagging it off.
(11-03-2010, 11:26 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: Point 9 makes sense though - return to the TLM and celebrate some divine hours in the churches.

Yes, that was a good thing, although not in the context that he said it.
I liked his point about Catholics returning to the ancient Mass.  The rest was pretty ridiculous.  This guy has serious issues with pronunciation, too.

If there is ever to be a true reunion (with the Orthodox embracing the fullness of the Catholic faith), the Catholic Church needs to get her own house in order first.  As this video points out, the current state of our liturgy makes us lose all credibility.
Even with the liturgy in shambles and heresy running around unchecked, the present day Catholic Church still has far more credibility than any Eastern Orthodox Church.

Such as with Protestants, what defines an Eastern Orthodox is his hatred of Rome. Pathetic. That sums it up.
(11-04-2010, 11:00 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(11-03-2010, 11:26 PM)Bakuryokuso Wrote: Point 9 makes sense though - return to the TLM and celebrate some divine hours in the churches.

Yes, that was a good thing, although not in the context that he said it.

Exactly!!
(11-04-2010, 11:09 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Even with the liturgy in shambles and heresy running around unchecked, the present day Catholic Church still has far more credibility than any Eastern Orthodox Church.

Such as with Protestants, what defines an Eastern Orthodox is his hatred of Rome. Pathetic. That sums it up.

Agreed.  The problem is that since Orthodox maintain the ancient liturgy one can walk into an Orthodox Church and be awed by the majesty of the Mass.  I've heard that this is the reason a lot of Catholics have converted to Orthodoxy; they found in the Orthodox Church what they were seeking in the Catholic Church.  It's deceptive in that despite their heretical beliefs in the papacy, at first glance their worship looks more Catholic than much Catholic worship.
(11-04-2010, 11:05 AM)ies0716 Wrote: I liked his point about Catholics returning to the ancient Mass.  The rest was pretty ridiculous.  This guy has serious issues with pronunciation, too.

If there is ever to be a true reunion (with the Orthodox embracing the fullness of the Catholic faith), the Catholic Church needs to get her own house in order first.  As this video points out, the current state of our liturgy makes us lose all credibility.

Just curious if you could tell me when it was that the Catholic Church ever "had its house in order".  I find that an incredibly odd thing for a Catholic to say, sue me.