More "orthodox" drivel
Some .U.S. ROCOR and Patriarchal Parishes (those directly under the Moscow Patriarchate) still use Church Slavonic in the liturgy, as they have many Russian emigrees as parishoners.

However, most of the OCA and Antiochian parishes in the USA have English liturgies, as many of their followers are converts or third generation Orthodox who are no longer attached to the language of their ancestors.
How does the Divine Liturgy sound in English? It must be a downgrading of some sorts, the same with the TLM said in the vernacular.
(11-07-2010, 11:54 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: How does the Divine Liturgy sound in English? It must be a downgrading of some sorts, the same with the TLM said in the vernacular.

Well it sounds better then the NO. :)
(11-07-2010, 02:49 PM)Baskerville Wrote:
(11-07-2010, 11:54 AM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: How does the Divine Liturgy sound in English? It must be a downgrading of some sorts, the same with the TLM said in the vernacular.

I'd suspect so, it's not hard. Even Anglican High Church liturgies are better than the NO, insofar as aesthetics are concerned.

Nevertheless, when comparing an English DL to an Old Church Slavonic or Byzantine Greek DL, there must be a sense of a loss of sacred, wouldn't you say?
(11-07-2010, 02:58 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

I'd suspect so, it's not hard. Even Anglican High Church liturgies are better than the NO, insofar as aesthetics are concerned.

Nevertheless, when comparing an English DL to an Old Church Slavonic or Byzantine Greek DL, there must be a sense of a loss of sacred, wouldn't you say?

Yes there's a Serbian Church about 2 hours away from me and while the family was visiting relatives I went to divine Liturgy there(I was still Orthodox) and about 90% of it was done in an old form of Serbian which is very close to old Church Slavonic and it was better.
(11-07-2010, 02:58 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

Eastern Catholics tend toward using the vernacular.  Though the priests at the Ruthenian parish in my town have tended toward inserting a bit of Old Church Slavonic - especially now that they have a priest from Ukraine as their pastor (I can't make out much of what he says during the Divine Liturgy, even when he's speaking English, lol - very kind man though - cornered me on my way out so I couldn't avoid him introducing himself to me and being polite :) )