Occupation 101
(11-07-2010, 08:35 PM)Underdog Wrote:
(11-07-2010, 08:32 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: That's not the point. The point is that the English broke their promise to the Palestinian Arabs and let a Jewish state emerge in the Holy Land. One didn't need to be a psychic back in 1948 to see the disastrous effects of that policy.

So, the English only delivered on 99.9% of their promise...still seems like they're [the Arabs] just pouting over an imaginary injury.

99%? We're talking about Palestine, not about the whole territory of the former Ottoman Empire. The United Kingdom had a mandate over Palestine (1920-1948) that encompassed all modern Israel, Jordan and parts of Syria.

The modern state of Israel occupies most of Palestinian territory, not just 1%.
Ok, I'm still not seeing what the big deal is.  As far as I can figure...the Palestinians were mad about 2 things...the number of Jews that were immigrating to Palestine...and the fact that the Jews were more skilled, had more capital, and became more financially successful.  So, they were covetous...and there was a revolt.  The Brits washed their hands of the costly duty of administrating the mandate...the Arabs and the Jews fought...and the Jews won.  Now there is Israel (where the Jews lived in Palestine) and a few territories occupied by Arabs (mostly Moslem...but some Christian).  What am I missing?  Please explain because I have never really understood why the Arabs in that region hate Israel so much...it just seems like it's all about envy.
And the video doesn't explain anything...it's just a propaganda tool...that tries to evoke sympathy without actually giving any real information about Palestine & Israel.
(11-07-2010, 09:19 PM)Underdog Wrote: Ok, I'm still not seeing what the big deal is.  As far as I can figure...the Palestinians were mad about 2 things...the number of Jews that were immigrating to Palestine...and the fact that the Jews were more skilled, had more capital, and became more financially successful.  So, they were covetous...and there was a revolt.  The Brits washed their hands of the costly duty of administrating the mandate...the Arabs and the Jews fought...and the Jews won.  Now there is Israel (where the Jews lived in Palestine) and a few territories occupied by Arabs (mostly Moslem...but some Christian).  What am I missing?  Please explain because I have never really understood why the Arabs in that region hate Israel so much...it just seems like it's all about envy.

The Arabs - both Muslims and Christians, but mostly Muslims - are mad because Palestine should've been an independent Arab state after WW1 (they helped the Allies kick out the Turks) or at least in the following decades. The U.K. failed to keep its promises and let the Jews populate it instead. You can imagine the social unrest this provoked. When war broke out, the British left and the Jews eventually won it and were able to declare an independent Jewish state in the Holy Land, something unheard of since Biblical times and something only possible because the U.K. let them populate it in the decades following WW1.

As for the animosity between them and the Jews, that's nothing particularly new. The Jews seem to have a disruptive effect in the societies they live in, the same happened in Christian Europe.
Then it seems like a good idea to give them Isreal...at least that's what the Brits thought...

Actually the Jews did pretty well in Poland...not particularly disruptive...althought there is a strong resentment there as well...so there is bound to be something to it...but tlets not forget that the Jews in Poland worked hard...that causes resentment a lot...even if there is nothing else.
There's 11 videos in the series Underdog, not just 1.  Did you even look at it?  If you watch them you'll see that it is not Arab propaganda.  It was put together by good Jews and Christians that are sick and tired of seeing the Palestinians treated the way they are by the Zionists and the truth not being told; spokesmen from Catholic Relief Services and the US Catholic Conference, a bishop is on the video too as well as Israeli journalists, human rights lawyers, peace groups, historians and analysts, World Vision Int., UN officials, former US diplomats to the Middle East, former US congressmen and more.  It's troubling to see that even some Catholics have been deceived by John Hagee, Pat Robertson and other US false prophets of the Christian Zionist movement.  If you watch the video series you should realize that Judaism has been hijacked by the Zionists in Israel and Christianity has been hijacked by the Christian Zionist movement in the US.  

Actually the Arabs and Jews lived in peace in Palestine before the first Zionist colony in 1878.  There are Muslims, Christians and Jews within the Palestinian population.  The Zionists discriminated against them all.  The video series breaks a lot of the myths we have been told by the main stream US media.  It's very revealing.
I haven't been deceived by anyone...I have come to a conclusion based on historical facts.  The Arabs of Palestine come across as sore losers who picked a fight with those whom they perceived as being more financially successful.  I still can't figure out why anyone sympathizes with them.
and the Jews beat the crap out of them several times in the last 50 years...game over...Isreal wins...unless you want to voluntee to help hamsa..lol  maybe you will be the deciding factor in the war against Isreal...hey...you never know until you try.
Are the two of you afraid to learn the true historical facts?  Like I say the quote speaks to you.  You have been deceived.

There's a series of quotes at the end of the last video about it being an American issue that has to be fought and won in the US, because it's an issue of American Foreign Policy. I'll post one quote from Allegra Pacheco, an Israeli human rights lawyer. She says "Israelis are talking about this. And I think it's time for Americans to realize they are the only ones that are not talking about it. And that is very dangerous for their own interests and for the interest of Israeli Jews here."

Maybe you'd like to read the 4 page review of Shlomo Sand's book.  The review is titled "Controversial Bestseller Shakes the Foundation of the Israeli State".  Like Allegra Pacheco and many in the video series Shlomo Sand is also an Israeli Jew.
http://www.alternet.org/story/122810/?page=1   
(11-08-2010, 12:00 AM)mikemac Wrote: Are the two of you afraid to learn the true historical facts?  Like I say the quote speaks to you.  You have been deceived.

No, are you?

You have been decieved....

Where does that leave us...LOL