St.Seraphim of Sarov russian Orthodox Saint
(11-06-2010, 05:57 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The pope calling an eastern schismatic a "saint" and puting him on the same level as St. Ignatius or St. Francis.

Incredible! John Paul II at its best.

St Seraphim was a very Holy Man. I used to be Russian Orthodox and know a fair amount about him he was my Orthodox confirmation Saint. While its true JPII shouldnt have put him up to the level of St Francis etc. remember that there are even rightous pagans in purgatory at least thats what a Priest told me.
(11-06-2010, 07:54 PM)Baskerville Wrote:
(11-06-2010, 05:57 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: The pope calling an eastern schismatic a "saint" and puting him on the same level as St. Ignatius or St. Francis.

Incredible! John Paul II at its best.

St Seraphim was a very Holy Man. I used to be Russian Orthodox and know a fair amount about him he was my Orthodox confirmation Saint. While its true JPII shouldnt have put him up to the level of St Francis etc. remember that there are even rightous pagans in purgatory at least thats what a Priest told me.

Listen, I don't even dispute the fact that Seraphim of Sarov might be in Heaven. Fortunately that is up to God, not me. What I dispute is that the Vicar of Christ should go out of his way to call someone who died outside the visible communion of the Church a "saint" and even dare to compare him to such figures as St. Ignatius or St. Francis.
St.Seraphim is a great Saint and His Holiness was correct in calling him so. Like St.Ignatius and St.Francis he put emphasis on the practice of the Gospel and had many mystical gifts of Christ. If you read his writings you will see all of that shine through him. 

(11-06-2010, 08:42 PM)Stephentlig Wrote: St.Seraphim is a great Saint and His Holiness was correct in calling him so. Like St.Ignatius and St.Francis he put emphasis on the practice of the Gospel and had many mystical gifts of Christ. If you read his writings you will see all of that shine through him.

Nevertheless, he died outside the Church. There's no way around that.

It's not the Pope's place to make private judgements of supposed sainthood towards those who die outside the visible fold of Christ.
(11-06-2010, 08:42 PM)Stephentlig Wrote: St.Seraphim is a great Saint and His Holiness was correct in calling him so. Like St.Ignatius and St.Francis he put emphasis on the practice of the Gospel and had many mystical gifts of Christ. If you read his writings you will see all of that shine through him. 

One is only a Saint if he is canonized by the Pope.  Was Seraphim canonized?  If not, then he's not a Saint regardless of his writings or how much one likes him.
Here you go, from Fr. Hardon's theological dictionary:

http://www.catholicreference.net/index.cfm?id=36247

Quote:saints
A name given in the New Testament to Christians generally (Colossians 1:2) but early restricted to persons who were eminent for holiness. In the strict sense saints are those who distinguish themselves by heroic virtue during life and whom the Church honors as saints either by her ordinary universal teaching authority or by a solemn definition called canonization. The Church's official recognition of sanctity implies that the persons are now in heavenly glory, that they may be publicly invoked everywhere, and that hteir virtues during life or martyr's death are a witness and example to the Christian faithful. (Etym. Latin sanctus, holy, sacred.)

Serafim AFAIK is neither honored by her ordinary universal teaching authority as a saint nor has he been canonized.  Ergo, he is not a saint.
What about Gregory Palamas? I found his practices very reminiscent of (non christian) eastern meditation practices, but I think Uniates are allowed to do that and honour him
(11-06-2010, 10:09 PM)justlurking Wrote: What about Gregory Palamas? I found his practices very reminiscent of (non christian) eastern meditation practices, but I think Uniates are allowed to do that and honour him

Yes Palamas had a whole weird thing with the "essence" of God and the Uniates ARE allowed to venerate him even though the west has declared what he teaches at least borderline heresy.
(11-06-2010, 10:31 PM)Baskerville Wrote:
(11-06-2010, 10:09 PM)justlurking Wrote: What about Gregory Palamas? I found his practices very reminiscent of (non christian) eastern meditation practices, but I think Uniates are allowed to do that and honour him

Yes Palamas had a whole weird thing with the "essence" of God and the Uniates ARE allowed to venerate him even though the west has declared what he teaches at least borderline heresy.

When were they allowed to venerate him? Before or after the Council?
(11-06-2010, 10:33 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(11-06-2010, 10:31 PM)Baskerville Wrote:

When were they allowed to venerate him? Before or after the Council?

Not sure. But I talked to a someone who is a uniate and he used him as his confirmation name.