St.Seraphim of Sarov russian Orthodox Saint
(11-07-2010, 12:42 AM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(11-06-2010, 11:58 PM)Marc Wrote:
(11-06-2010, 11:44 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: Gregory Palamas is NOT a saint. He was a horrible heretic. May God have mercy on his soul.

Well, given my acceptance of Palamite theology and the hesychastic tradition of the East (and West), I guess that makes me a heretic too. Boo!

Grow up, the Faith is larger than scholasticism.

I'll stick with Catholic doctrine; if I wanted to be a Palamite, I'd convert to the religion of the heretical Eastern schismatics.

Resurrexi, you do know that the essence-energy distinction (for that is what we are discussing) didn't originate with Palamas or the schismatic East, but goes back to St. Basil the Great and the Cappadocian Fathers?

"The energies are varied, but the essence is simple. We say that we know our God by His energies, but we cannot hope to approach His essence. For His energies come down to us, but His essence remains unapproachable" ~ St. Basil the Great, Doctor of the Church

But I won't argue this further. Everyone knows I only come to Fish Eaters to socialize and post crap about my cats.
(11-07-2010, 12:55 AM)Baskerville Wrote: What exactly is heretical about him? I remember back in my OC days some things sounded weird but what is heretical?

He rejected the procession of the Holy Spirit from both the Father and the Son and he denied the primacy of the pope. Not to mention that he rejected divine simplicity.
What I meant is their meditation techniques (position, breathing style, repeating words, focusing on a single point till you see a light) that seems very Buddhist like
These Eastern Schismatic honoured-persons are outside of the Holy Roman Catholic Church; they cannot and ought to not be venerated as saints of God.  Outside  of the Pale, means, outside of the Church.  To aggrandise, a schismatic or a heretic does nothing but a copious disservice and causes scandal amongst the faithful!
(11-07-2010, 01:48 AM)Virgil the Roman Wrote: Is Hesychasm and Palamas, heretical? Is the Eastern Schismatics' "Eastern Orthodox Church," heretical?

Hesychasm isnt as far as I know.
Life of Saint Seraphim of Sarov
[video=youtube]rGSK56PhUyo[/video]
(11-08-2010, 08:02 PM)Marc Wrote: Life of Saint Seraphim of Sarov
[video=youtube]rGSK56PhUyo[/video]

I suppose its because Iused to be orthodox but I have a soft spot for St Seraphim.
Isn't he the fella who is always portrayed petting a bear?
(11-08-2010, 08:58 PM)Bearded Man Wrote: Isn't he the fella who is always portrayed petting a bear?

Yep
(11-08-2010, 09:00 PM)Baskerville Wrote:
(11-08-2010, 08:58 PM)Bearded Man Wrote: Isn't he the fella who is always portrayed petting a bear?

Yep

He was one of the few Orthodox saints that I was familiar with. I liked him!
Maybe you'll know of this other guy then. I knew an elderly lady that recently converted from Trad Catholicism to Russian Orthodoxy but then she went to the Old Calendarists. She lent me an Orthodox book that was really good, it was about some fella who traveled around Russia and said the Jesus Prayer. Any idea who that was?