St.Seraphim of Sarov russian Orthodox Saint
(11-08-2010, 09:47 PM)Bearded Man Wrote:
(11-08-2010, 09:00 PM)Baskerville Wrote:
(11-08-2010, 08:58 PM)Bearded Man Wrote: Isn't he the fella who is always portrayed petting a bear?

Yep

He was one of the few Orthodox saints that I was familiar with. I liked him!
Maybe you'll know of this other guy then. I knew an elderly lady that recently converted from Trad Catholicism to Russian Orthodoxy but then she went to the Old Calendarists. She lent me an Orthodox book that was really good, it was about some fella who traveled around Russia and said the Jesus Prayer. Any idea who that was?

You're talking about an anonymous book called The Way of a Pilgrim. 

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Pilgrim-Contin...0060630175
(11-08-2010, 09:54 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote:
(11-08-2010, 09:47 PM)Bearded Man Wrote:
(11-08-2010, 09:00 PM)Baskerville Wrote:
(11-08-2010, 08:58 PM)Bearded Man Wrote: Isn't he the fella who is always portrayed petting a bear?

Yep

He was one of the few Orthodox saints that I was familiar with. I liked him!
Maybe you'll know of this other guy then. I knew an elderly lady that recently converted from Trad Catholicism to Russian Orthodoxy but then she went to the Old Calendarists. She lent me an Orthodox book that was really good, it was about some fella who traveled around Russia and said the Jesus Prayer. Any idea who that was?

You're talking about an anonymous book called The Way of a Pilgrim. 

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Pilgrim-Contin...0060630175

That's it exactly! Thanks! I just couldn't remember the title.
That is a great book. I think even Catholics should read that. I say the Jesus prayer all the time.
(11-08-2010, 09:47 PM)Bearded Man Wrote: I knew an elderly lady that recently converted from Trad Catholicism to Russian Orthodoxy but then she went to the Old Calendarists.

:(

We ought to pray for her return to the one true Church of Christ, outside of which there is neither salvation nor the remission of sins.
(11-09-2010, 05:01 AM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(11-08-2010, 09:47 PM)Bearded Man Wrote: I knew an elderly lady that recently converted from Trad Catholicism to Russian Orthodoxy but then she went to the Old Calendarists.

We ought to pray for her return to the one true Church of Christ, outside of which there is neither salvation nor the remission of sins.

:pray: There is some hope now, she is going to the Divine Liturgy in some old Russian priest's basement and is dissatisfied with the Old Calendarists.
(11-09-2010, 07:36 AM)Bearded Man Wrote:

:pray: There is some hope now, she is going to the Divine Liturgy in some old Russian priest's basement and is dissatisfied with the Old Calendarists.

Sounds like a trad, all right.
Palamism is the reason numerous Orthodox became papist in the middle ages. among them John VIII Palaeologos, and his prime minister. www.holyunia.blogspot.com
(11-09-2010, 06:05 PM)randomtradguy Wrote: Palamism is the reason numerous Orthodox became papist in the middle ages. among them John VIII Palaeologos, and his prime minister. www.holyunia.blogspot.com

Acceptance or rejection of it?
I am and Old Calendarist.

I accept that the Latin Church could have had valid reasons to change from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar (being the calendar a matter of discipline and notof faith), there was no reason for the Eastern Churches to change their calendars. This opened the door to Modernism and Liberalism. This was a political move by some liberal governments in Eastern Europe during the 1920's.

The so called "Revised" Julian Calendar used by most Orthodox Churches with the exception of the Russian and Serbian one (it keeps the Julian Calendar for Pascha while using the Gregorian one for the rest of the feasts) is very defective, as it eliminates the Apostoles fast, for example. The new calendar brought no unity. On the contrary, it brought conflicts and a rise of Anti-Catholicism. The Traditionalist Orthodox blamed Rome for the new Calendar, while in fact some Eastern Catholic Churches did not switch to the Gregorian Calendar when their Orthodox counterparts did.

(11-09-2010, 03:38 PM)spasiisochrani Wrote:
(11-09-2010, 07:36 AM)Bearded Man Wrote:

Sounds like a trad, all right.

:laughing: I know right?