Books/authors you feel obligated to like, but don't?
(11-06-2010, 10:16 PM)Gerard Wrote:  The writings of JPII,  

Dang this is what I was going to put. I mean now I know they are just crap. But when I was a neoCatholic I really wanted to read what he wrote because it was the thing to do but I couldn't get into it it was too long winded. In fact I have read that one of his superiors whrote about him that he "writes a lot says little" sums it up perfectly. Cardinal Ratzingers stuff Infuriates me now. You read his stuff and you can just tell he knows whats wrong especially with the liturgy but he does nothing. With the liturgy he called the new "Mass" a banal on the spot product" and then he goes and makes it the ordinary rite.  ::)
The Great Gatsby: I love to hate it. ;)
Perhaps, I ought to read about the spirituality of St Therese Liseux.
For those of you who don't "get" St. Thérèse, I humbly suggest reading The Passion of Thérèse of Lisieux by Guy Gaucher. This book on the final months of the Saint's earthly life is a quiet masterpiece and a good corrective to the saccharin image Catholics often have of this "little soul" and her way of Love.
"Books/authors you feel obligated to like, but don't?"

There's no such thing for me...if I don't like it...I don't feel any pressure at all to like it or vice versa.

Sadly, the book of deuteronomy.
I thought somebody was going to say the book of numbers. For anyone that has tried to read the entire Bible cover to cover, you know what I am talking about.

Anything written by Tennessee Williams, Walt Whitman and David Mamet.
(11-06-2010, 07:54 PM)DesperatelySeeking Wrote: Almost any 16 or 17 year old is going to be immensely more worried about getting their driver's license or their next date rhan what Tolstoy had to say about the human condition. 

Man, I must be a nerd because I was reading Tolstoy at 16 and, twenty years on, still don't have a driver's license.
Quote:Dostoevsky - and I really, really tried

Well try harder. >:(
(11-07-2010, 03:55 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: Sadly, the book of deuteronomy.

That and Leviticus I read them both once about ten years ago when I read the Bible cover to cover now I just skip them.
(11-07-2010, 05:53 AM)Baskerville Wrote:
(11-07-2010, 03:55 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: Sadly, the book of deuteronomy.

That and Leviticus I read them both once about ten years ago when I read the Bible cover to cover now I just skip them.

I find them fascinating now! But I understand where you two are coming from. I read them as a teenager and was so stunned and scandalized I literally threw my Bible across the room and wept. In fact, I credit my youthful loss of faith in part to having read parts of the Bible too soon, and without direction. The Bible is a dangerous book to read without direction, especially when you aren't ready for it.