Books/authors you feel obligated to like, but don't?
I'm so happy I'm not the only one who doesn't like Faulkner and Hemingway. I'll go further and say I don't think they deserve their high reputations.

Fitzgerald wrote an exquisitely pure and ethereal prose, but he wrote about nothing.

Chesterton? I agree with the OP, at least in regard to works like "Orthodoxy." They're supposed to be all profound and wise and all, but really to me they just seem to be a witty man relishing his own wit and refusing to take serious matters with the sobriety they deserve. I have, however, greatly enjoyed the little I've read of his fiction.

Maya Angelou. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings was a fine novel, but her poetry sucks. It is laughably bad. And now in college literature courses, one is expected to take her seriously!

I absolutely adore C.S. Lewis, but Mere Christianity infuriates me. Yet everyone seems to love it, even Catholics, who should see its flaws in an instant.

I don't care much for spiritual reading thus far -- I get my spiritual insights from reading good novels and essays -- but I should say I share everyone's high opinion of Therese of Liseaux. I sort of understand how she could leave others cold, though.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Books/authors you feel obligated to like, but don't? - by Satori - 11-06-2010, 09:33 PM