Books/authors you feel obligated to like, but don't?
(11-07-2010, 07:41 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote:
(11-07-2010, 07:38 AM)Satori Wrote:
(11-07-2010, 05:53 AM)Baskerville Wrote:
(11-07-2010, 03:55 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote: Sadly, the book of deuteronomy.

That and Leviticus I read them both once about ten years ago when I read the Bible cover to cover now I just skip them.

I find them fascinating now! But I understand where you two are coming from. I read them as a teenager and was so stunned and scandalized I literally threw my Bible across the room and wept. In fact, I credit my youthful loss of faith in part to having read parts of the Bible too soon, and without direction. The Bible is a dangerous book to read without direction, especially when you aren't ready for it.

Could you perhaps explain how they're supposed to be interpreted? On an emotional level a lot of the rules make me want to gag (the laws actually remind me of a Jewish Taliban or something) but on an intellectual level I know that as it's inspired scripture the stipulations cannot be morally wrong as that would mean God was the author of evil. The old testament, especially in light of the New, confuses me a lot.

I don't have the authority or, probably, the education to tell you how they're supposed to be interpreted, but if you tell me specifically what bothers you, perhaps I can tell you something useful.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Books/authors you feel obligated to like, but don't? - by Satori - 11-07-2010, 07:46 AM