augstine baker
(11-07-2010, 06:57 PM)icecream Wrote: ahh, you scared me there! i was looking at my name from different angles trying to find the mistake  ;D

I wonder if this is a vice, my messing with people like that.

Today, while helping clean up at church, I got my friend when he moved a baby carrier thingy which had a bunch of things in it (a purse, some baby stuff) and had a jacket or blanket on top rather carelessly so we could move the table it was on, I said with some alarm, "There is a baby in there!". He believed me for that moment...

no vice. good, cleann fun!!
i posted this while he was online purposefully to get his attention. i think he evading his responsibilites and oesnt want to face the fact that he made a typo

augstine: its okay! we all make mistakes!
I presumed it was so he could do web searches on himself without bringing up the actual Augustine Baker.

Or since he appears to be on other fora - perhaps the first one he signed up to had a character limit.  ???
hmm those possibilities too.

i must get to thie bottom of this mystery  ;D
(11-07-2010, 09:20 PM)paragon Wrote: Or since he appears to be on other fora - perhaps the first one he signed up to had a character limit.  ???

In Latin, forīs. In English, forums.

(11-07-2010, 09:50 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(11-07-2010, 09:20 PM)paragon Wrote: Or since he appears to be on other fora - perhaps the first one he signed up to had a character limit.  ???

The (nominative) plural of forum in Latin is fora. Foris is the dative and ablative plural.

In English, there are two correct plurals: "forums" and "fora". The plural "forums" seems to be more widespread but "fora" is perfectly acceptable, as far as I know.
Ha!  Beat an educated person at something! [Image: Smiley_wink.gif] [Image: Smiley_wink.gif] [Image: Smiley_wink.gif]

There's a first for everything.
(11-07-2010, 09:54 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:
(11-07-2010, 09:50 PM)Rosarium Wrote:

The (nominative) plural of forum in Latin is fora. Foris is the dative and ablative plural.

In English, there are two correct plurals: "forums" and "fora". The plural "forums" seems to be more widespread but "fora" is perfectly acceptable, as far as I know.

The nominative is never used after prepositions.

Now, without looking, what is the plural of "octopus"?
I don't even know what a nominative is, but you will find 'fora' in any decent English dictionary.  :fish: