Pope made to look like a fool
(11-10-2010, 10:24 PM)mike6240 Wrote: Well, I clicked on the link to the Novus Ordo service and watched it up until the Queen received the host.  There wasn't anyone behind her.  The King and Queen were by themselves to the right (or left depending on your orientation) of the Novus Ordo table.  Benedict went up to their places (there were two kneelers in front of their chairs and they were seated on a platform higher than Benedict was standing).  The Queen went in between the kneelers (the King was beside her) and bent over to receive the host in her hand.  I believe this was due to the platform the King and Queen were standing / sitting on.  If she had knelt to receive the host, Benedict would literally have to stretch his arm up above his head to pop it in her mouth.  The Queen didn't seem to be making any sort of statement at all.  She looks as if she's receiving the host just as if she was receiving in any Novus Ordo church while standing on a platform.  Watch the video (if you can stomach the awful architecture and the typical NO service).  To my surprise, the Queen didn't make a scene at all.  It was quick and very smooth.  The still pic posted at the beginning of this thread really doesn't do the situation justice.

Believe me, I am the last one to defend anything to do with the Novus Ordo.  I believe it's heretical.  But, I just don't see anything the Queen did as anything which isn't standard in the Novus Ordo. 
My advice is to watch the video before making any more judgements.

"If she had knelt to receive the host, Benedict would literally have to stretch his arm up above his head to pop it in her mouth. "

Exactly, and that would not be 'doing the red.'  It would have been disrespectful to treat the Body of Christ in that manner. 

Reaching up over his head would have also made Pope Benedict look undignified.  Worse, His Holiness might have injured his shoulder doing it, or, due to having to look up above his head, lost his balance and fallen, or dropped the Body of Christ, none of which would have been desirable.  Agility decreases with age, bones are more fragile, and vision changes, too.

Somebody screwed up royally by seating the king and queen on a platform that placed them higher than the Pope.  People are fallible and make mistakes, no matter where they work.

I think Queen Sofia made the best she could of a bad situation.

This was an Ordinary Form Mass so the queen was allowed to receive Communion standing and in the hand.  No matter how much posters at FE, WDTPRS, et al., dislike the OF, it is a legitimate form of the Mass at this point in history. 

(11-11-2010, 03:38 PM)Revixit Wrote: "If she had knelt to receive the host, Benedict would literally have to stretch his arm up above his head to pop it in her mouth. "

Exactly, and that would not be 'doing the red.'  It would have been disrespectful to treat the Body of Christ in that manner. 

Reaching up over his head would have also made Pope Benedict look undignified.  Worse, His Holiness might have injured his shoulder doing it, or, due to having to look up above his head, lost his balance and fallen, or dropped the Body of Christ, none of which would have been desirable.  Agility decreases with age, bones are more fragile, and vision changes, too.

Somebody screwed up royally by seating the king and queen on a platform that placed them higher than the Pope.  People are fallible and make mistakes, no matter where they work.

I think Queen Sofia made the best she could of a bad situation.

This was an Ordinary Form Mass so the queen was allowed to receive Communion standing and in the hand.  No matter how much posters at FE, WDTPRS, et al., dislike the OF, it is a legitimate form of the Mass at this point in history. 

Friends, the abject absurdity of Revixit's apologias make it clear that this person is a troll. Don't feed the troll.
Revixit Wrote:Reaching up over his head would have also made Pope Benedict look undignified.  Worse, His Holiness might have injured his shoulder doing it, or, due to having to look up above his head, lost his balance and fallen, or dropped the Body of Christ, none of which would have been desirable.  Agility decreases with age, bones are more fragile, and vision changes, too.

What a ridiculous post. Are you wearing a leotard? Because your mental gymnastics are astounding.

Here's a quick little photo tweak I did to show that were Sofia kneeling (which she most certainly can), our Holy Father wouldn't have to do a triple somersault to administer Holy Communion as you'd have us believe:

[Image: QueenSofiascandal.jpg]

In addition, she could have leaned her head and shoulders forward to bring her almost at eye level with the Holy Father.

Any other rationalizations? Perhaps the queen was allergic to the type of fabric used to cover the kneeler or perhaps she was brandishing a cutlass underneath her skirt on her left side that would have punctured her in her calf if she knelt?  :shrug:

Another food for thought for the "reform of the reform":

Departing from the traditional rubrics and spirit, the Pope is not keeping his thumb and index finger together when holding the chalice.

(11-10-2010, 11:36 PM)Baskerville Wrote:
(11-10-2010, 10:53 PM)Pax et Bonum Wrote:
(11-10-2010, 10:24 PM)mike6240 Wrote: Watch the video (if you can stomach the awful architecture and the typical NO service). 
It was just like an empty stage or auditorium.

Perfect for an empty Mass and empty theology.

Touché
Tonight at Mass, the gentleman in front of me had only one leg.  He got down on the kneeler and kneeled on ONE KNEE for Holy Communion!!!!
Made me think of this post, and all the absurd arguments to defend not kneeling (and im not talking valid physical reasons)...cause if a man with one leg can manage to kneel for Holy Communion, 99.9% of the rest of the population can manage this as well.
:pray2:
(11-12-2010, 12:12 AM)mamalove Wrote: Tonight at Mass, the gentleman in front of me had only one leg.  He got down on the kneeler and kneeled on ONE KNEE for Holy Communion!!!!
Made me think of this post, and all the absurd arguments to defend not kneeling (and im not talking valid physical reasons)...cause if a man with one leg can manage to kneel for Holy Communion, 99.9% of the rest of the population can manage this as well.
:pray2:
Amen to that.

God bless that man for his reverence.
(11-11-2010, 06:33 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Another food for thought for the "reform of the reform":

Departing from the traditional rubrics and spirit, the Pope is not keeping his thumb and index finger together when holding the chalice.

oh, please.
(11-12-2010, 11:28 PM)ketchum Wrote:
(11-11-2010, 06:33 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Another food for thought for the "reform of the reform":

oh, please.

It's a fair point Vetus makes. I, too, have noticed that the pope fails to keep his canonical digits joined after the consecration.
(11-12-2010, 11:28 PM)ketchum Wrote:

oh, please.

Oh please, what? Is abandoning an ancient practice used to protect the Blessed Sacrament from being profaned superfluous to you?

I suppose to our age of "lowest common denominator Katholicism" such practices are indeed silly and backwards.