Thanksgiving Friday Indult for U.S.
Likewise  :thumb: for excellent posts Gerard!

Though I was born in 1951, and thereby had many Friday's after Thanksgiving under the traditional disciplines, I really can't remember what was customary for us back then.  I do notice that the Fisheaters website (as distinct from the discussion forum) mentions the indult from Pope Pius XII for the United States:
http://fisheaters.com/fasting.html (summary table: All Fridays)

As an aside, Eastern Catholics and the Orthodox are observing the St. Phillip's or Nativity Fast: 40 days before Christmas: NO meat, seafood except shell fish, dairy, or eggs; wine and olive oil are allowed only on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, & Sundays (during Great Lent wine and oil are allowed only on Sunday).  Application of the Nativity Fast varies amoung jurisdictions.  I notice that the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese permits any fish during the winter fast.  When the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday arrives, the traditional Greeks I know will have a fish dinner (up here in the northwest that would be salmon, and I am jealous as I'd much rather eat salmon than turkey).  Another Orthodox friend tells me that the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) grants a dispensation from the winter fast for Thanksgiving day, and until the leftovers are consumed.  It would be interesting to hear what Eastern Catholics do, in this regard.
(11-10-2010, 07:00 PM)cunctas_haereses Wrote:
(11-10-2010, 01:48 PM)Petertherock Wrote:
(11-10-2010, 09:31 AM)introibo Wrote: We lazy, greedy Americans, just can't wait and keep the bird in the fridge until Saturday.  Silly. That goes for St. Pat's falling on a Friday, too.  Just celebrate on Saturday.  Sheesh.
Christina

Yeah, let's make everyone fast and abstain on Christmas when it falls on Friday too.

What a petulant, childish answer. Brilliant.

When does Thanksgiving ever fall on a Friday? BTW, Thanksgiving is a poli-day (a political day, a secular 'holy day' aka 'holiday') - Christmas is a real HOLY DAY. Can't you tell the difference? As noted previously, the Church has already made rescinding the fast and abstinence on solemn feasts the norm.

Christina is absolutely correct in her assessment.. Just how damn hard is it to hold off on cleaning up that crappy bird for one lousy day? Way too hard, apparently. Too many erstwhile 'traditional' Catholic Americans are Americans first and always, and Catholics somewhere down the line.

Yeah...because Pius XII was a "Neo Cath" I guess.

This is a one source for the indult...

Pope Pius XII granted American Catholics a dispensation from abstinence on the Friday after Thanksgiving to allow them to consume the leftovers from the day before.

http://www.examiner.com/catholic-in-nati...on-fridays
(11-11-2010, 01:09 PM)Petertherock Wrote: This is a one source for the indult...

Pope Pius XII granted American Catholics a dispensation from abstinence on the Friday after Thanksgiving to allow them to consume the leftovers from the day before.

http://www.examiner.com/catholic-in-nati...on-fridays

Is there a primary source?