Could someone please explain the mortal sin of adulation to me?
The definition I got from my newer Catechism and the one I've read from Pope Saint Pius X's seem to be two entirely different definitions. Could someone please help me on this? From what I understand, it's an attitude affirmed verbally which encourages someone to do something very sinful.

An example of what this might entail would be very appreciated. :)
Perhaps you could post the two quotes for folks to compare ?
tim
Good idea. :)

JPII Catechism: "Every word or attitude is forbidden which by flattery, adulation, or complaisance encourages and confirms another in malicious acts and perverse conduct. Adulation is a grave fault if it makes one an accomplice in another's vices or grave sins. Neither the desire to be of service nor friendship justifies duplicitous speech. Adulation is a venial sin when it only seeks to be agreeable, to avoid evil, to meet a need, or to obtain legitimate advantages. "

Pope Saint Pius X Catechism: "Adulation is a sin which consists in deceiving another by falsely praising him or others for the purpose of profiting thereby. "
They seem to say the same thing to me, one is just more precise and detailed than the other. The CPX provides a broad definition, without making any distinction between mortal or venial sins--it just says generally the minimum elements of the sin. The CJPII makes a more precise distinction between when this sin is mortal and when it is venial. It is a mortal sin when the false praise confirms someone in grave sins, etc., but generally only venial otherwise.

(it may bear pointing out, that when the CPX says "profiting thereby," it does not necessarily mean making money, but simply for any advantageous end, categories of which are listed by the CJPII).
(11-11-2010, 02:20 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: They seem to say the same thing to me, one is just more precise and detailed than the other. The CPX provides a broad definition, without making any distinction between mortal or venial sins--it just says generally the minimum elements of the sin. The CJPII makes a more precise distinction between when this sin is mortal and when it is venial. It is a mortal sin when the false praise confirms someone in grave sins, etc., but generally only venial otherwise.

(it may bear pointing out, that when the CPX says "profiting thereby," it does not necessarily mean making money, but simply for any advantageous end, categories of which are listed by the CJPII).

Ah, okay! So if someone was speaking to a person who was struggling with pride and began to heap praise on them, that would be adulation?
Obsecuence is one of the most repugnant acts, I often witness it because I live in a country in which we have a lot of Cult of Personality in our politics.