Low Mass or High Mass?
(11-18-2010, 08:31 AM)Servus_Maria Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 06:49 AM)Jacafamala Wrote:
(11-17-2010, 09:38 AM)crusaderfortruth3372 Wrote:
(11-17-2010, 04:36 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: According to the article, the Econe seminary of the Society of Saint Pius X doesn't use the Leonine Prayers after low Mass. The argument is that since the original intention of the prayers has been fulfilled (freedom to profess the Catholic faith in Russia), it automatically should be suppressed.

That is interesting as I'm pretty sure the FSSP still does. From my experience, at least they continue to do so after every Low Mass.

ICK, too--after the Low Mass.

The SSPX in Melbourne recites the prayers for the conversion of Russia after Low Mass so it might just be an Econe thing.

Thanks!!!  ;D
I like low Mass in a small, intimate setting (like a small chapel) where the congregation is relatively close to the altar and therefore I can hear what is being said by the priest and servers (except that said in a low tone of course). On the other hand, in a big beautiful church where the altar is at the wall of a large sanctuary and the congregation is far away, or just in general, I prefer the high Mass or Missa Cantata. I actually get to attend a solemn high Mass reletively often.

(11-17-2010, 04:36 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: My opinion, based on the reading, is that the Leonine Prayers may be optionally prayed for another intention, but not considered a mandatory devotion after low Mass.

This is my understanding too. Basically, they are not required to be prayed after Mass anymore, but after Mass you can pretty much do whatever pious things you want (since the Mass is over).

Personally I don't like how the Leonine prayers are usually done (at least in my experience). I'd prefer not to have them or at least start them up after at least 15 minutes or so of silent time after Mass. At least for me, they throw off the contemplative "mood." The priest prays them in the vernacular louder than he was saying Mass and the entire congregation prays the responses loudly in the vernacular--it just doesn't seem to "fit" with what was just going on. This has been my experience in multiple locations too.  :shrug:
(11-18-2010, 01:17 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: Personally I don't like how the Leonine prayers are usually done (at least in my experience). I'd prefer not to have them or at least start them up after at least 15 minutes or so of silent time after Mass. At least for me, they throw off the contemplative "mood." The priest prays them in the vernacular louder than he was saying Mass and the entire congregation prays the responses loudly in the vernacular--it just doesn't seem to "fit" with what was just going on. This has been my experience in multiple locations too.  :shrug:

I sort of agree. When the Leonine Prayers are prayed in a manner that contrasts strongly against the liturgy, it essentially breaks the liturgical spirit. Like a "people's prayer" versus "priest's prayer" dichotomy. I know of at least one person at my local diocesan Tridentine Mass who preferred the low Mass over sung Mass because of the Leonine Prayers at the end. *sigh*