Beautiful churches
(01-08-2011, 11:26 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(01-08-2011, 11:22 PM)Stevo Wrote: Still going on today.  I found out just a week ago that one of the chapels that is used for the TLM is being "renovated" by the Jesuit's, and will no longer be "suitable" for the celebration of the TLM after said renovations.  I'm sure we can figure out more or less what the means.

Where?  Pictures!  :)

It's called Burke Hall Chapel, here in Melbourne.  To be fair, the Jesuit's who look after the chapel always had full control of it, and simply let the priests from our Community say Mass there, but I really don't see why any renovation should have to render it unsuitable for saying the TLM.

They haven't actually done any work yet, but I'll try and get some pictures when they have - perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised, but, seeing as I presume these renovations are going to involve tearing out the altar, I doubt it.
(01-08-2011, 11:40 PM)Stevo Wrote:
(01-08-2011, 11:26 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(01-08-2011, 11:22 PM)Stevo Wrote: Still going on today.  I found out just a week ago that one of the chapels that is used for the TLM is being "renovated" by the Jesuit's, and will no longer be "suitable" for the celebration of the TLM after said renovations.  I'm sure we can figure out more or less what the means.

Where?  Pictures!  :)

It's called Burke Hall Chapel, here in Melbourne.  To be fair, the Jesuit's who look after the chapel always had full control of it, and simply let the priests from our Community say Mass there, but I really don't see why any renovation should have to render it unsuitable for saying the TLM.

They haven't actually done any work yet, but I'll try and get some pictures when they have - perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised, but, seeing as I presume these renovations are going to involve tearing out the altar, I doubt it.

Pray they stop, and ask them to stop?
http://newman-community-melbourne.org/photos.htm

Here?
[Image: dsc_0458.jpg]

I would definitely see if your priests can talk them out of it!  That is BEAUTIFUL!!!
(01-08-2011, 11:42 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: http://newman-community-melbourne.org/photos.htm

Here?
[Image: dsc_0458.jpg]

I would definitely see if your priests can talk them out of it!  That is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Luckily no, thats St Aloysius' - The Newman Community has full control of that church, Fr Tattersall is the rector, so no "renovations" for that one - luckily.  Burke Hall Chapel is another location they used to say Mass on Sunday mornings - they dont' have any control over it, but have been allowed to say the TLM there once a week for a while now.  It's not anywhere near the level of beauty as the pictures in this thread, but it's still another location lost to the possibility of the TLM.  My main beef is that I just don't see why they are doing it.  There is absolutely no need.
[Image: interior_choirloft.jpg]

http://www.stspeterpaul.san-francisco.ca.us/index.html

You might remember the exterior from the original Dirty Harry movie.
St. Michael's Church, Munich

[Image: kvege1083s.jpg]

[Image: Michaelskirche_Munich_-_St_Michaels_Chur..._Altar.jpg]
(01-09-2011, 03:11 PM)SoCalLocal Wrote:
[Image: interior_choirloft.jpg]

http://www.stspeterpaul.san-francisco.ca.us/index.html

You might remember the exterior from the original Dirty Harry movie.

Yes!  So lovely.  I was there for Easter Vigil in the NO.  The exterior is beautiful.  In the Italian district of San Fran.
(01-09-2011, 03:21 PM)Vivace Wrote: St. Michael's Church, Munich

EXCELLENT CHOICE.

Of the churches in Munich, this is in my top 3. 

The other two:
St. Peter's in Munich:
[Image: Alter-peter_vom-rathaus.jpg]

High altar of St. Peter's
[img=700x1184]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Peterskirche_Munich_-_St_Peter's_Church_Altar.jpg[/img]

Catholic Church of St. John Neopmuk - Asamkirche (I posted this church's "sister" in Ingolstadt, Germany, a few pages ago...  Designed and built by the same pair of brothers)
[Image: Asam-kirche_2.jpg]

Interior:
[Image: St._Johann_Nepomuk_-_Inside_(M%C3%BCnchen).jpg]

Altar:
[Image: Asamkirche_M%C3%BCnchen_Altar.JPG]

Ceiling:
[Image: Asamkirche_M%C3%BCnchen_ceiling.jpg]

[Image: chapel051104b.jpg]  [Image: chapel051104c.jpg]

Immaculate Heart of Mary Chapel
Summit Country Day School--Cincinnati, OH

When I lived in Ohio, I attended Summit for a few years and this was our school’s chapel. I remember walking into it the very first time and being amazed. Though it could never compare to the likes of Saint Peter’s Basilica and other churches, I still think it's beautiful.
The Patriarchal Cathedral of St. Mary Major, Lisbon, Portugal. Built in the 12th century.

[Image: 250px-Se_de_Lisboa_Frente.JPG]

"The Lisbon cathedral is a Latin cross building with three aisles, a transept and a main chapel surrounded by an ambulatory. The church is connected with a cloister on the Eastern side. The main façade of the cathedral looks like a fortress, with two towers flanking the entrance and crenellations over the walls. This menacing appearance, also seen in other Portuguese cathedrals of the time, is a relic from the Reconquista period, when the cathedral could be used as a base to attack the enemy during a siege."