The Pope Plans to Allow Women to the Office of Lector
thanks HK
Every NO Mass I have ever attended has had a female lector...
(11-13-2010, 05:01 PM)Bearded Man Wrote: Every NO Mass I have ever attended has had a female lector...

That's pretty much the reality of it. However, the NO as first imagined would have had an instituted lector in cassock and surplice. That's how it's done at my parish (not the instituted part, since that's not even offered by the diocese), but obviously, that's not how things are anywhere else.
This recommendation for women lectors came out like 2 years ago from Cdl. Ouellet and hasn't been acted on, so I'm wondering if this is just some PR spin by him to raise the issue again...

Beyond that, it sounds like speculation on kath.net's part.  In fact, they use the word "apparently" which is more accurate than AB's spin in the title which leaves no room for speculation and has it as a done deal.

Does anyone have Cdl. Ouellet's exact words or are we depending on kath.net's interpretation?
(11-13-2010, 05:10 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(11-13-2010, 05:01 PM)Bearded Man Wrote: Every NO Mass I have ever attended has had a female lector...

That's pretty much the reality of it. However, the NO as first imagined would have had an instituted lector in cassock and surplice. That's how it's done at my parish (not the instituted part, since that's not even offered by the diocese), but obviously, that's not how things are anywhere else.

You go to an Anglican Use parish, correct? I'm part of a group of Catholics and a good number trad Anglicans who are working to create one in our diocese, hopefully our new parish will be similar...
I can't see this affecting the TLM in any way, but it could mean an improvement for the NO.  The instituted ministries of lector and acolyte have been very little used ever since they were created, largely because they were reserved to men.  Since the women doing these roles could not be instituted, there hasn't been any point in doing it for the men. This change would mean that the instituted ministries might become more widely used.  This would probably a good thing because "official" lectors and acolytes come more directly under the authority of the bishop. (This is assuming the apparent trend of installing good bishops continues.)  He would be able to set standards for their training, formation and behaviour across the diocese.  The way it works now there is very little control on this and it varies widely from parish to parish. 
(11-13-2010, 05:28 PM)JayneK Wrote: He would be able to set standards for their training, formation and behaviour across the diocese.

But that hasn't exactly worked out well for the training, formation and behavior of priests, has it?

You have a hopeful theory, but in reality I think this will play out as one step closer to women priests in the media and minds of the public, and that's how they'll act.
(11-13-2010, 05:32 PM)QuisUtDeus Wrote:
(11-13-2010, 05:28 PM)JayneK Wrote: He would be able to set standards for their training, formation and behaviour across the diocese.

But that hasn't exactly worked out well for the training, formation and behavior of priests, has it?

You have a hopeful theory, but in reality I think this will play out as one step closer to women priests in the media and minds of the public, and that's how they'll act.

I think that it hasn't worked for formation of priests largely because of the general quality of bishops in recent decades.  Improving that while giving the bishops more control over lay ministries has the potential to be positive.  On the other hand, I agree that this would be played up for the womynpriest angle.  On the other other hand, there is already so much damage in this regard done by altar serviettes and other women at the altar, it might not make things much worse.
Don't mind me, Jayne, I'm a professional cynic.  On the other hand, it's only cynicism if it isn't true.  ;)
(11-13-2010, 10:26 AM)cunctas_haereses Wrote: Someone please pop in here and tell me again about this 'traditional' pope and all those mean modernist 'wolves' that surround and compel him to legislate garbage like this.
:w2go: