The Pope Plans to Allow Women to the Office of Lector
(11-17-2010, 04:16 PM)mike6240 Wrote: Your entire post brings the Church down to the lowest common denominator.  All I keep hearing from those who obstinately (desperately?) defend the NO is:

All that is necessary for validity is to speak the words of consecration; the rest is obviously very important, but even without it, the Eucharist is still valid but illicit.

The Catholic Church is not the Church of the lowest common denominator.  Defending practices and so called  "Canon Law" in the Novus Ordo Church on the grounds that it is "valid but illicit" is not Catholic.  The Catholic Church is supposed to be the pinnacle and Bride of Christ.  Not something we cringe at and endure on the grounds that it is "valid but illicit".  I believe the ordination of women is in the works and will be a fact, at least in the Novus Ordo Diaconate, in the near future.  Something will come out of Rome - full of ambiguities and vagueness.  This will then trigger a rush to interpret such a pronouncement as "valid but illicit" for the start of females in the diaconate.  Then the ball will be rolling for Novus Ordo priestesses.  I'm not making this up.  This type of governence in the Novus Ordo Church has been going on since Vat. II - vagueness and abiguity - and let the bishops interpret what they may and then do their own thing.

I am not saying what is the most preferable option, or what should be happening. I am taking a completely emotionless, without-opinion, analytical perspective: women walking into the sanctuary is physically possible, but a woman becoming a priest is impossible. I don't see how I could be "obstinately defending the NO" when I go to the TLM exclusively as long as it is an option, which is always (not to say I would not fulfill my obligation by any means necessary if I had to), and I most firmly believe that the Church would be in a better position if, unequivocally, all of the things you mentioned were reversed. I understand the importance of making everything as ideal as it can be, and I believe that the Church should have every sacrament, every ceremony, and every discipline done with the utmost perfection for the glory of God.

That is not to say that I cannot take a dispassionate perspective. Vulgar languages replacing Latin, for example, is something that does not affect the validity of the Mass, which is an assured fact. That is irrelevant to whether it should be done (my position on which is in the negative); I am only speaking in black and white terms of possibility and impossibility. Actions fall into two categories, possible and impossible, and from there are divided into good and bad. An impossible action - the ordination of women - is on an entirely different plane and cannot be compared to a bad possible action, like changing the Mass or any others of the things you listed.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Pope Plans to Allow Women to the Office of Lector - by Gladium - 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM