Pope Benedict: Bible Cannot Be Taken Literally
(11-18-2010, 03:05 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: For example, Ratzinger has written before that he believes that the first five books of the Bible, which the Jews call the Torah, was actually written by a committee during the Babylonian captivity following the latest findings of modern Biblical scholars of the last century. This goes completely against the tradition of the Church, the Church fathers, and traditional teaching which has always asserted that Moses is the author of the first five books of the Bible.

I find the "committee during the Babylonian exile" theory more believable than "sola Moses". Even if you ignore the textual evidence (different writing styles, different names for God, etc.), there is the troubling detail that Moses dies before the end of the 5th book. Anyway, the Church does not require anyone to accept non-literal interpretation, but they do allow it. And if they didn't, I wouldn't be Catholic at all. My mind is not capable of the mental gymnastics required by a literal interpretation. I agree completely with the Pope on this issue.

Also, "written by a committee" isn't quite accurate. The prevailing theory is that the Torah/Pentateuch was compiled by a committee (or possibly even by an individual) from earlier writings by several different authors. And when I read the books, that theory seems eminently plausible.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope Benedict: Bible Cannot Be Taken Literally - by Grasshopper - 11-18-2010, 10:16 PM