Pope Benedict: Bible Cannot Be Taken Literally
(11-18-2010, 05:57 PM)Nic Wrote:
(11-18-2010, 01:59 AM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:
(11-17-2010, 11:53 AM)jacobhalo Wrote: It is impossible to interpret the bible literally. 

I actually choose consciously to just believe / lean towards the literalness of Genesis until I die.  I figure, I ought to just play it safe.  If I'm wrong, God will correct me and iron out the technicalities on the Other Side. 

Nothin' wong with believin' God made the world in six days.

Nothing wrong at all  - since every Church Father who commented on it did the same - and the Pontifical Biblical Commission of 1909, which was an arm of the Magesterium, claimed that "Genesis does not contain purified myths."  Indeed, Genesis is a very literal account.  Now, the last book of the Bible is what simply CANNOT be taken literally, but even today numerous Protestants and even many Catholics cannot help themselves from doing so.

Next you'll be saying that St. Augustine wasn't a Church Father. In fact, you'll have to say that to be consistent with the above statement, because he didn't believe in a literal "six days" interpretation, and indeed cautioned against doing so.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope Benedict: Bible Cannot Be Taken Literally - by Grasshopper - 11-18-2010, 10:18 PM