Pope Benedict: Bible Cannot Be Taken Literally
(11-18-2010, 10:16 PM)Grasshopper Wrote: I find the "committee during the Babylonian exile" theory more believable than "sola Moses". Even if you ignore the textual evidence (different writing styles, different names for God, etc.), there is the troubling detail that Moses dies before the end of the 5th book. Anyway, the Church does not require anyone to accept non-literal interpretation, but they do allow it. And if they didn't, I wouldn't be Catholic at all. My mind is not capable of the mental gymnastics required by a literal interpretation. I agree completely with the Pope on this issue.

Also, "written by a committee" isn't quite accurate. The prevailing theory is that the Torah/Pentateuch was compiled by a committee (or possibly even by an individual) from earlier writings by several different authors. And when I read the books, that theory seems eminently plausible.

Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible, except for the last chapter of Deuteronomy dealing with his death. This last chapter has traditionally been recognized to have been authored by Joshua, who went on to write the book of Joshua. The traditional authorship of Moses is still held today by the real Jews, the Orthodox Jews, traditional Catholics, and Orthodox Christians.

The Babylonian theory is utterly false. The biggest opposition to this theory comes from the Bible itself and Jesus Christ.

Jesus says the following in John 5:45-47:

"Think not that I will accuse you to the Father. There is one that accuseth you, Moses, in whom you trust. For if you did believe Moses, you would perhaps believe me also; for he wrote of me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"

Jesus Christ plainly states that Moses wrote about him in the Torah. Being that he was the second person of the Trinity, he could have corrected the ignorant Jews about their mistaken belief that Moses was the author of these books, but he affirmed the truth. The words of Christ himself convicts all these faithless modern Biblical scholars with their so called expertise, insight, and latest finding into whatever they don't believe in.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope Benedict: Bible Cannot Be Taken Literally - by SaintRafael - 11-19-2010, 12:44 AM