Pope Benedict: Bible Cannot Be Taken Literally
(11-19-2010, 08:59 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: The problem is that you have fallen for modern scientific claims that are in no way scientific, true, proved, or correct. For example, it is not a scientific fact or law that the universe or Earth are billions and millions of years old. All of modern geology is built on an assumption and theory that science today with better technology, is showing be be false. It has been assumed that rock formations or strata form very slowly and that each layer of strata is a gap of milions of years. Water current velocity was never taken into account and modern lab tests are showing the strata forms very rapidly by the velocity of the current and with many of the strata forming laterally and vertically, depositing at the same time, not successively by superposition of million upon millions of years.

I find the commonly accepted version of geology infinitely more plausible than your version, which presupposes the literal truth of Genesis. If you start out with a fixed conclusion that you're absolutely unwilling to alter, it's easy to pick and choose only the evidence that supports that conclusion. But that's not how science works. And it's not just geology. Astronomy and physics also support an age for the earth and the universe that is much greater than that proposed by young-earth creationists. Archaeology shows that people and civilizations have existed longer than your proposed age for the earth. When all the sciences independently come to the same conclusion, I find that much more convincing than a book that is full of obvious errors and contradictions.
Quote:In the Gospel of Matthew, St. Matthew uses the genealogy of St. Joseph. In the Gospel of Luke, St Luke uses the genealogy of Mary. Matthew uses the paternal lineage of his foster father while Luke uses the maternal lineage of his mother.

Matthew 1:16 -- "And Jacob begot Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ."

Luke 3:23 -- "And Jesus himself ... being (as it was supposed) the son of Joseph, who was of Heli, ..."

I see nothing in there about the genealogy of Mary. One says Jacob was the father of Joseph; the other says Joseph was the son of Heli. Either they contradict each other or at least one of them is to be taken non-literally. Make your choice -- you can't have it both ways.
Quote:There is absolutely no errors of any kind in the Bible whether they be historical, cultural, or scientific.

I beg to differ. I find it to be full of scientific and historical errors, as well as internal inconsistencies and outright contradictions.

This will be the last word from me on this issue, because this argument is obviously a complete waste of time for both of us. You are already denying Origen, St. Augustine, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and the Pope, as well as common sense and almost all of modern science. Given that, there is no chance that anything I say will change your mind. And, with all due respect, I find those authorities infinitely more convincing than you.

You can believe whatever you like. I'm sticking with common sense and the Pope.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Pope Benedict: Bible Cannot Be Taken Literally - by Grasshopper - 11-20-2010, 01:56 AM