The Rite trailer (Catholic exorcism movie) .. Jan 2011..
That's a very interesting one line summary. Usually, it's the opposite--they make movies about priests who have faith and then lose it. Looking forward to it, now that I've finally gotten over that Emily Rose movie!
Looks good to me, my eyes started leaking, and my nose got athletic and started to run, when Sister gasped in horror.
tim
Looks awesome!

The book is good too.  It's a true story about an American priest who is sent to Rome to learn about how to do exorcisms.  He is a modern priest skeptical about the subject.  He enrolls in a course at one of the Vatican colleges.  And then he attends exorcisms conducted by experienced priests in Rome.  Needless to say he gets quite an eye-opening.

Very interesting,  but I can't help wondering why there apparently are so many possessed people in Italy and not in America?  They have big lineups waiting for the exorcists there.  And the exorcisms are pretty dramatic although the priests admit they  sometimes discover mental illness not the devil.

(11-18-2010, 06:10 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: The book is good too.   It's a true story about an American priest who is sent to Rome to learn about how to do exorcisms.   He is a modern priest skeptical about the subject.   He enrolls in a course at one of the Vatican colleges.   And then he attends exorcisms conducted by experienced priests in Rome.  Needless to say he gets quite an eye-opening.

Very interesting,  but I can't help wondering why there apparently are so many possessed people in Italy and not in America?  They have big lineups waiting for the exorcists there.  And the exorcisms are pretty dramatic although the priests admit they  sometimes discover mental illness not the devil.

Satan and his minions only attack those worth attacking and those attacked are only defended by those who are faithful.  That explains a lot of it - I think a lack of belief in demons in America has a lot to do with it.
(11-18-2010, 06:10 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: The book is good too.   It's a true story about an American priest who is sent to Rome to learn about how to do exorcisms.   He is a modern priest skeptical about the subject.   He enrolls in a course at one of the Vatican colleges.   And then he attends exorcisms conducted by experienced priests in Rome.  Needless to say he gets quite an eye-opening.

It's because in the USA possessions are diagnosed as mental illness. If someone is possessed and their family asks for an exorcists, they are laughed at and told they need a psychiatrist. And that's by people within the newchurch.

Fr. Malachi Martin said exorcisms are up 750% in the east in the US. He also said many of the old money elites are perfectly possessed, and that Skull and Bones is the epicenter. Since they are all nominally Mainline Protestants it's no wonder that they don't consult a priest. On the flip side most Catholics are inclined to believe it's a mental disorder. People and Catholics have given up on miracles, so why believe in the devil ? Even amongst ourselves many want a scientific rationalization, no one wants to believe God just did it. The enlightenment has long had it's nose under the tent, and the last defense against it, the peasant, is gone.
Perhaps in tiny villages in Italy there are still some.
tim
The number of  people needing exorcisms is going to increase in the USA. So many young get involved with the occult, it's going to be a plague here. So says Father Thomas Eutenuer in his new book too.
http://catholicfire.blogspot.com/2010/06...m-and.html

C.
It looks really good Anthony Hopkins is the best. I find the subject fascinating but I am too scared of the whole demon thing to ever really look into it. The Excorsism of Emily Rose scared me to the point where I didnt get sleep for three days.
(11-18-2010, 11:39 PM)Baskerville Wrote: It looks really good Anthony Hopkins is the best. I find the subject fascinating but I am too scared of the whole demon thing to ever really look into it. The Excorsism of Emily Rose scared me to the point where I didnt get sleep for three days.

I know what you mean. I picked up a book to read at Chapters on exorcism, and I couldn't finish it. I got to the part where an exorcised woman began to regurgitate semen, and then I put it down.